jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Sea of Japan or East Sea?

1. sandonia profile image82
    sandoniaposted 4 years ago

The body of water between Japan, North Korea, South Korea, and Russia has long been called the Sea of Japan. South Korea has been pushing to have the name changed to East Sea arguing it is the traditional name of the sea. Should the name be changed to East Sea, Sea of Japan (East Sea), or remain as Sea of Japan?

2. internpete profile image92
    internpeteposted 4 years ago

Hmm very interesting. I don't think those nations will ever agree on a name. When I lived in Okinawa, Japan, I always called the sea between Japan and Korea/China the East China Sea. It might be a little south of the sea you are talking about but everyone I knew called it that. The Sea of Japan has a nice sound to it.

sandoniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Koreans call that particular body of water South Sea. They call the Yellow Sea, which is west of Korea, West Sea. They haven't raised any issues with the international naming conventions of those two seas though.

3. livelonger profile image90
    livelongerposted 4 years ago

In business school, the only "fight" I saw break out in class was between Korean and Japanese students about this very issue.

We learned it was called the Sea of Japan (in the US) but I don't see the issue of calling it both names. I guess it depends on whom you're speaking with.

sandoniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For many Koreans, they consider the name Sea of Japan to be offensive because they believe the name arose from the Japanese colonial period (early 20th century to WW2). And some Japanese find East Sea to be offensive because they consider it to be Korea-centric.