jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Do you know who Leonard Peltier is?

1. backporchstories profile image84
    backporchstoriesposted 4 years ago

Leonard Peltier has been imprisoned for 34 years now, over a crime the courts could not show proof and yet alone, 3 other men were aquitted in the same crime for self defense.  I am curious how much of the public out there is aware of this injustice and if Leonard is more internationally known than here in the States, where the government wants to simply bury the issue instead of standing up to responsibility.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've heard of him, but only because one of my ex-husbands, who was involved with AIM for several years, is 1/4 Lakota Sioux and his family comes from S. Dakota.

backporchstoriesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I find that most people dont know who he is, but in Europe his plight is well known!  My husband is 1/2 lakota and his family is from Pine Ridge and part of the Oglala nation which Leonard is part of.  Thanks for the comment!

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I think the US courts should re-examine that case and see if there was any 'bias' involved in the first place. He is elderly now and should be allowed to spend his remaining days in some sort of peace.

I have my opinion on the FBI and their role in these whole affair, but I wont voice it here for fear of the forum being deleted.  Need I say more?

3. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the link!  Look up Stephen Van Zandt song Fredom for Leonard Peltier .  It is a good one.  There have been many famous people who have tried to bring recognition to Leonard's plight, like Robert Redford.

1. lovemychris profile image79
        lovemychrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

One of many cases of wrongful imprisonment. Once they make their unjust case stick, it's like breaking concrete with your bare hands to undo it.

There really is no system of justice. There should be another name for it.
        A man was just released yesterday after 20 years due to a wrong eyewitness....
        Trayvon Martin was executed, even though his accusers recanted and admitted they were pressured by police to lie.....
        My daughter's friend framed for murder because he's black....
        Prison-for-Profit Industry....

We have no business discussing morality when this is the state of America.

Here is another case of unjustice and those now recanting their testimony!

http://backporchstories.hubpages.com/hu … kton-Sioux

It is important to keep this feed active.  Many American Native Indians are in prision, (not all) over political issues.  Please continue with all your comments and keep the ball rolling.  If you have any compassion for the Original Peoples of America.....then speak up!

working