jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Speech by members of Congress drops a grade level

1. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Speech by members of Congress drops a grade level due to conservatives and new members, according to study
    By Rachel Rose Hartman | The Ticket

Are members of Congress dumbing down their discourse?

The Sunlight Foundation determined that Congress is talking at nearly a full grade level below the level at which members spoke seven years ago, according to its study of the Congressional Record the official record of members' proceedings and speech.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/spee … 51897.html
    I don't think anyone will be surprised by this revelation, but some are even lower I suspect roll

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol.  It's partially because the American public isn't actually an intellectually sophisticated bunch.  If speeches were given at higher levels, most people wouldn't be able to understand them.

Also, some members of Congress are just stupid big_smile.

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

This wouldn't shock me.

3. Mighty Mom profile image89
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

I actually support the idea of plainer, more direct speech and don't see the "drop" in grade level as a bad thing.

I used the "Fleish test" for copywriting readability all the time.
    Talking above the audience's head is not effective communication.
    Example: If you've ever read (or tried to read) government (or nonprofit) speak, you know that burying the meaning in piles of complex sentences and dense paragraphs is the norm.
    In a word: ridiculous.

Maybe it's time to get rid of the verbal pomposity and circumstance in Congress.
    As suggested in another thread, write bills in a more direct way.
    Talking to each other in $10 words does not necessarily equate to smart ideas, either.
    smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I tested it and found I write at an 8th grade level......I think 7 is the average they suggest you try for. You do want people to understand what you are saying without needing a dictionary. I remember reading William F. Buckley's novels and having to look up at least one word a page...not that it hurt me smile

4. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

I don't know....one of the best speakers I ever heard was Robert Byrd. He was intelligent, but also personable.

What I see is a lot of personable, but not a lot of intelligent. *cough* *PalinBachmann* *cough*

This is a consequence of the dumbing down I think. Eloquence is replaced with euphamisms.
    Engaged thinking is replaced with bumper-sticker dialogue.

It's probably complicated and convoluted because so many of them are lawyers!
    But personally, I want them to be smarter and able to think better than me. That's what I pay them for.

I think dropping a grade is not a good sign.

1. Mighty Mom profile image89
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LMC,
      Electing representatives who are smarter and able to think better than you is so pre-2010!

lol

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Representatives/Senators already think they are above everyone else. So, why wouldn't they think they are smarter than most. Politicians are the main contributors to the amount of distortion and misinformation which the public receives.

Not to mention, the media outlets are not doing anything that matters.

5. lovemychris profile image81

Being a politician should be a calling, like being a teacher. I have seen some in my time....and still see some in there now.

Statesmanship, leadership, the ability to motivate and bring people together....these are Noble things.

It's only money that has polluted it. Money is much easier to replace than human beings. anyone got a match? Poof!!

Up in Smoke.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZap4o777g

6. lovemychris profile image81

"All men are created equal. No matter how hard they try, they can never erase those words. That is what America is about."

THIS is intelligence! Too many don't know this...that's the problem.

We have become a nation of status-seekers.

working