jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Backwards thinking in America and the struggle for progress.

1. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 5 years ago

America stands in this amazing position where one half of the nation is attempting to move forwards culturally and socially and the other is stuck in the early parts of the last century.
    Public polling of GOP primary voters in Tennessee showed only 54% of them supported interracial marriage being legal.

Today on Hub pages I read a hub which opined that having sex with a woman using contraceptives was akin to rape or as the author put it: "The truth is that contraception is perhaps the purest form of woman abuse. With it we take our pleasures from our partner and call it 'making love'. What a big lie! By comparison, at least the rapist doesn’t deceive the victim. There is no real love when we practice artificial birth control. We take and we give nothing." he then added that since homosexual relationships could not produce children thy were basically rape too.

Mr Santorum the popular former GOP candidate was in favor of arresting people from their own homes and jailing them for the crime of sodomy. At a time when almost 40% of straight women have engaged in the act no less.

A popular subject of conversation is how divided our nation is, how can it not be when one side is pulling the country back toward intolerance, racism, sexism, sexual repression and homophobia and the other is trying to stay in 21st century?

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

I would love to say we can reconcile our differences, but there are just so many that I've given up and hunkered down in my little bastion of liberalism.

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can't blame you brother.

3. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Equality and Equal rights is the only path forward. Anything less is a citizenry defeated.

1. lovemychris profile image79
      lovemychrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agree totally. And as long as people think they are better--morally and otherwise...it will never happen.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

That is America.

1. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1

2. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good to know LMC. smile

4. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I'm totally cool hunkering down in my own bastion, too.
    Live and let live.
    Unfortunately, the fear-based reprobates will not stay in theirs.

I seriously wonder if it's not time for the blue states to secede from the nation and let the red states return to the 1950s.

5. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

Pirate Wench‏

"Anyone that takes a pledge to Grover Norquist and not to America is a domestic terrorist and a traitor to US"

---hello.

working