Freedom

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

What is your definition, and why do you find it valuable?

2. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

We are never truly free, unless perhaps you happen to be a despot!

Everyday we interact with other people and that moderates our freedom in that we have to respect that other persons freedom.

As long as we live within a set of written and unwritten rules then we are free to do what we wish, bounded by those restrictions.

In other words, freedom is an illusion.

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

It's hard to give a truly comprehensive definition but I would say that one of the major freedoms (which is often overlooked) is the freedom to opt out, i.e. NOT to have to do stuff.

I don't think freedom is illusory but it does come with a corresponding level of responsibility and it needs to be constantly guarded against people and organisations who would try and take it away.

4. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

But what major aspects of life can we opt out of?
    Come to that, what aspects of life can we opt out of?

Even the homeless destitute can not opt out of everything, they still eat and wear clothes.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll give you an example from my own life.

Some years ago, I had a teaching job in adult education. I enjoyed it, but I began to find the paperwork and bureaucracy increasingly irksome, and it became clear that there was an established ideological "party line" that you were expected to follow if you wanted to "get ahead".

I decided that I'd had enough, and I resigned. It meant a big loss of income but for me it was worth it because I was able to stay true to what I believed in rather than having to go along with propaganda that I didn't agree with.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But you still had to work or limit your freedom to enjoy life?

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had to make a financial sacrifice, yes. But the point I'm making is that I was free to make the choice. Crappy though that choice was.

5. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

The dictionay defintion of freedom is: "The power and/or right to act, speak, or think without any hinderance or restraint." I suppose if one lived on a deserted island by ones self they could practice this.  But once another person is brought into the picture, then there has to be restraint to ensure the safety and well being of each person.

As a civilized society, we can never be 100% free because we have to have laws and restrictions that ensure the well being of each other. Our constition, although not perfect, gives us those rights and restrictions that flow from the highest authority, the Supreme Court, down to the states and then to us.

Thanks for this question. I never really thought about this before. By the way, I think the Supreme Court's ruling on Citizens United, Sucks. It equates the money corporations and big moneyed intersts give to Political Action Committees as freedom of speech.

1. innersmiff profile image65
      innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you got it. That is why I concentrate on 'Liberty' rather than 'Freedom' because Liberty denies the right to aggress upon another, e.g. freedom to kill another person.

'Freedom' is a very dodgy word and ripe for propaganda, e.g. Statists might say 'let's give poor people the freedom to get a house by stealing money from people we don't like and giving it to them' Admittedly a crude example but highlights well the wishy washy definition of 'freedom' compared to the clear definition of 'liberty', as it shows how you can give others 'freedom' by taking it away from others.

Also, one's person freedom is another person's slavery. The person on welfare might reject it whilst withdrawing taxes, accepting the freedom to be poor as well as the freedom to their own property. The point is not to deny another's freedom.

6. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

Speaking as a U.S. citizen, we, as adults, have many options. 

We can obtain a higher education, or not.  We can have a high-powered, lucrative career, or not.  We can marry, or remain single.  We can read anything we want to read.  We can worship a higher being, or not.  We can eat meat, or be a vegetarian.  We can bear or father children, or choose not to.  We can travel freely from one end of the U.S. to the other. We can own a home, or rent, or be homeless.  We can live in the cooler climates or the warmer ones.  We can fish, swim, ride horses, own pets, collect items, buy and sell items, drive all night and sleep all day, listen to rock music or classical.  We can choose to live in a house, or a trailer, or in an RV. 

We can vote, or not.  We can belong to churches, clubs, and organizations, or not.  We can own guns and other weapons.  We can own a car or a pickup or be a long-distance truck driver, or bicycle, or walk.  We can wear long loose clothes that cover us from head to toe, or we can wear short-sleeved tee shirts and shorts.  We can cover our head if we choose, or not. 

Unless our rights are trampled upon by someone else or we ourselves break the law, we are free to do all these things.  I recognize that our freedom is limited, but most of the limitations are there to protect the rights of others.

7. Electro-Denizen profile image82
    Electro-Denizenposted 11 years ago

Inner freedom. Freedom from emotional and mental reactions to things. Spontaneous inner joy arising, due to being free from conventional egoic reactions to things. That is really valuable, as the freedom is not dependent on exterior conditions. Harder to cultivate though, and easier to place restrictions on others though to limit their freedom!

8. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

I'm not looking to argue with anyone.  This is more about just getting some opinions.  So far I am enjoying the responses.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)