jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Active Duty Service Members and Veterans

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Recently, while at a popular and well known restaurant I came across a situation that I thought was a little ironic. I walked in an immediately saw posted on the front door that that are raising monies to send children of  Wounded Warriors and Disabled Veterans to camp for summer, then by each registrar is the little cabin to place donations.  Then to my left is a wall, not a large display, but very noticeable, is "We Support our Troops" with pics of different service members. When I go to pay for my meal I ask if there is a military discount. I get told no.

So if a business is going to advertise that they support the troops should they provide a discount of some sort? Maybe not a large discount, just a way of saying thank you and job well done.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image89
      Hugh Williamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The restaurant was more interested in the appearance of being patriotic than it was in walking the walk.

Don't let it get you down & have a good memorial day.

2. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 4 years ago

No, why should they?

3. PrettyPanther profile image84
    PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago

It is easy to post a sign or fly a flag or wear a lapel pin, then pat yourself on the back for "supporting the troops."  It is much harder to support the troops in ways that require personal sacrifice from your own pocketbook.  I see a lot of the former and not much of the latter here in the red state I live in.

4. Dee aka Nonna profile image85
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 4 years ago

Let's, for a moment, give them the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe they just hadn't thought about it.  Try saying that to the owner or manager and see what happens.  Also, if they are doing the other for appearance....maybe someone need to make sure the money raised is actually going to send military kids to camp.

1. Dee aka Nonna profile image85
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh, just thought of this.  Maybe you can suggest that they offer a discount every Tuesday or every whatever day.  Maybe everyday might be a bit of a stretch, but one day a week may be managable.