jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Once-Obese Women Still Face Stigma

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Once-Obese Women Still Face Stigma, Study Finds
    May. 30, 2012 1:06PM PDT

WEDNESDAY, May 30 (HealthDay News) -- Even after they shed their excess pounds, formerly obese women still have to contend with "anti-fat prejudice," according to a new study.

Researchers asked young women and men to read about women who had either lost 70 pounds of excess weight or had stayed the same weight (weight-stable), and who were either currently obese or currently thin.
    http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/hsn/once … tudy-finds
    Is it "once fat,always fat" in the minds of others?

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

One would think that the effort of having lost 70 pounds of excess weight would be recognized and applauded.  It’s especially surprising to me as it was young men and women who were surveyed.  It just so pisses me off that in this day and age of political correctness young people are so cruel and insensitive. It’s easy to be trim and judgmental when you’re young and active.

I’d like to see this same unforgiving group of participants 20 years from now when years of sitting at the computer at sedentary job positions, having babies, genetics, and/or medical conditions catch up with some of them and they find themselves on the receiving side of this anti-fat prejudice.

And speaking of prejudice, was a similar study done on males who had lost excess weight?

1. Pamela N Red profile image91
        Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm 50, gave birth to two kids and still thin. Being older doesn't mean you have to be sedentary even if you work an office job. My husband is 53 and runs marathons and several miles a week.

People use age and giving birth too much as an excuse.

Carbohydrates and diet habits are mostly to blame but also not exercising makes it worse.

2. Pamela N Red profile image91

Seventy pounds is quite a lot to lose so even after losing that weight they will have excess hanging skin they will have to deal with. If they are young it will eventually shrink but it takes a long time.

1. Shanna11 profile image90
        Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excess skin should not deny you a decent existence, free from stigma.

1. Pamela N Red profile image91

True, I'm just saying it could be why people know they used to be obese or why they might find them less attractive.