jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Law - non taxed churches shall not oppose candidates. Opinion?

1. backporchstories profile image84
    backporchstoriesposted 4 years ago

Recently, here in Kentucky, a pastor of the Hagar Hill Freewill Baptist, spoke out to his congregassion to vote President Obama out of office.  He is now being called on the carpet for making this public statement and according to the government, he has broken a federal law.  Do you think this law is justified?  Should a Pastor be able to give his opinion to the people of the church?

1. Ramsa1 profile image70
      Ramsa1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

If the churches want to become involved in politics they should start paying taxes like everyone else. Jesus paid his taxes and so should his followers.

1. backporchstories profile image84
        backporchstoriesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That makes sense to me!

2. Dax01 profile image60
    Dax01posted 4 years ago

Just like the military an individual can have "personal" opinions and express them in private conversation without restriction. However, when in uniform or on military details such expression of personal opinion on a political issue can get a military member a general court martial which can end in jail and total loss of career and benefits [or an agreement to "retire" like General Stanley Mac Chrystal who was the best spec ops general around].
    Churches are the same: Remember "Separation of Church and State". the Minister can have his "personal Private Opinion" and express it in personal and private conversations; expressing In Church to a Multitude of people that opinion becomes "political commentary" and violates the Federal Law Which Creates the "Exclusion from Taxation" and which defines the "Separation of Church and State":
    the minister was dead wrong and just too lazy to speak to each of his members privately so he made his "personal opinion" a "Political Statement" violating the separation doctrine and endangering his entire church hierarchy's tax exclusion. They did not censure him for  speaking the opinion, they censured him for endangering their tax exclusion; and rightly so.

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

Even though I do not believe freedom of speech means one can say whatever they like I still caution that it is easy for people to fall into a dictatorial atmosphere when they are in charge.

In the United States the government is supposed to be working for the people it should not be the other way around.

If politician are corrupted, stealing from the people, exempting themselves from laws etc. should the people remain quiet regarding these crimes?

If freedom of speech is based on taxation then corporations that pays their lawyers to keep them from paying taxes must also remain silent.

4. backporchstories profile image84
    backporchstoriesposted 4 years ago

I never knew this law existed!  However, if the majority of the congregassion feels the same about the issue at hand, then should they not be able to voice this in their own church?  In reality the law makes sense, however, many of the issue effect people to their very core and in spiritual ways.  I do not think you can always draw a clean line between church and state.  It makes me ponder!

5. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Total abuse of the power of the pulpit.
    I hope the feds prosecute him.
    And it wouldn't matter to me which candidate the pastor was telling his congregation to vote for (or against).
    That is inappropriate in the extreme.

1. Cagsil profile image82
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this