jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Prenatal non-discrimination bill fails

1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

"Republicans brought up PRENDA under a suspension of the rules, which limited the time for debating the bill and meant it required a much larger majority of votes to pass. The vote was 246-168 in favor, but the bill needed 276 yeas to pass. Twenty Democrats voted for the proposal; just seven Republicans opposed it."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/05 … -selection

I'm totally against abortions done just because the baby isn't the sex you want. But I agree pretty much with the article I posted - how would doctors know the real reason for the abortion? They'd have to have a crystal ball. I doubt many women would just come out and say they wanted an abortion because they didn't want a girl baby.

I also agree with some of the posters from the other thread on this topic. It's often the fathers/husbands who push women into aborting females. I feel really sorry for these women. Imagine being pregnant with a girl when you live in fear that if you have the child, your husband might abuse it or even kill it - and/or you. How do we change such societal views?

1. Alastar Packer profile image83
      Alastar Packerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A baby is fully formed at five months and after hearing that Planned Parenthood tape- well, it speaks for itself. As far as pregnant women being afraid of violent repercussions from the men all put forcing them into the act, it ought to be a top priority for the nation, states and communities to have other safe options for these women; and the media and grape-vine should be putting this situation thoroughly into the American consciousness. Then maybe, just maybe, things will begin to turn around for the better.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, we need safe options for these women. But it's hard to change age-old traditions and beliefs.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I always thought it would be a good idea to have a class explaining societal differences in domestic relations to incoming female immigrants.  It wouldn't fix the problem but it would help educate women on options... which is a good first step.

I'm sure it would be seen as racist/anti-cultural diversity though.

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think that's a good idea, Mel!