How can I get that job??

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

Boehner says they have been working waaaaay too hard....time for another vaca.

What do you say, $10,000 that they go to Tahiti?

1. shea duane profile image61
      shea duaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that guy wouldn't know hard work if it jumped up and bit him in the ass.

2. American View profile image61
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

if you want that job, then put up here is your chance run for office. Show us how wise and smart you are, you know so much you should have no problem getting elected. And you to can have that salary, those benefits, that retirement, and that great vacation package.

Just remember to send us all postcards from Tahiti along with those $50 doughnuts.

1. American View profile image61

I noticed this went  un-answered

1. profile image0
          Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not spend my entire day in front of the computer. I went grocery shopping for my wife.

You are not the first person to suggest I run for office because you do not like or agree with my comments.

I do not seek public office. I do not have the funds to run for office. I do not have the personality to get elected. I am speech impaired. Too many people assume a speech impaired person is not very smart.

Also, there are some decisions I do not want to have to make. I do not want to have to decide or vote to send our troops to war. I do not want to vote or decide if we should launch missiles against an area with a large number of civilians or any civilians for that matter.  Sometimes those decisions are necessary and they are hard decisions to make. At this point in my life, I am not interested in making such decisions.

Someone on this forum urged me not to reply to you any more. I will heed his advice.

2. profile image0

American View:
          I was not going against you. I made a mistake as to what I was replying to.  As I said, I do not like the forum format, it gives me trouble. If I offended you in any way, please accept my apology. I will be more careful in the future.

Larry,

Trust me, I was not offended. I am not sure why you thought I was telling you to run for office when you clearly can see in the thread I was answering the question that LMC put out there. Nor was my comment directed to you about not answering me, that was directed at LMC. Sorry if I confused you lead you to think I was talking to or about you. I actually enjoyed your responses in the in the few forums I have seen you and to my articles.

2. lovemychris profile image75

They're probly tired from this:

"Yesterday, House Republicans led by Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) unveiled the “Domestic Energy and Jobs Act.”

It combines seven bills passed by House committees that include measures to block public health safeguards from smog and toxic air pollution, mandate drilling public lands, and punish citizens for raising concerns about harm from oil and gas production on places owned by all Americans.  It is specifically designed to increase oil and gas development.

The GOP claims that it supports an “all of the above” energy strategy.  But the McCarthy bill was announced the same day that the House passed the energy spending bill for fiscal year 2013 that slashes investments in clean energy research and deployment by more than $500 million.

Instead, the McCarthy bill focuses almost exclusively on weakening public health protections from air pollution and the expansion of oil and natural gas drilling regardless of its harms to hunting, water, or wildlife. 

Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA) noted that:

House Republicans are sending a love letter to the oil industry in the form of another oil-above-all scheme."

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/0 … standards/

a comment:
    "Not many are telling us the truth about US crude oil supply, what are the forces that determine pump price, and why the US imports so much crude oil only to export gasoline. This industry is essentially a publically subsidized black operation pretending to be a sterling example of free market capitalism and buys its congressional support from willing Republicans like those responsible for the despicable bills listed above."

Another result of "throw them out" 2010.....welcome to GOP World, 2.0

1. profile image0

I have written numerous hubs on the oil and gas industry that has good reviews.
      To answer some of your questions, a barrel of oil is 42 gallons. Approximately 20 gallons is turned into gasoline and the rest is turned into other products. We import some gasoline from Canada and Mexico because it is convenient to nearby US locations. Thus we export some gasoline along with other refined products, thus improving our balance of trade. The price of gasoline is controlled by the price of oil and the price of oil is controlled--not by U.S. Oil Companies, but by the OPEC nations. We are not their only customer. So our price is going to be competitive with the global price. I did one hub about Sometimes the Oil Industry Cannot Help Making Money. I have another dealing with supply and profits. I think you would find them interesting. They have also been picked by the Oil Voice publication printed in the United Kingdom. If you have any specific questions please e-mail me. I worked for the oil and gas industry in a PR capacity for 22 years until I was told my services were no longer needed. Therefore I do not speak as a representative of that industry but as a long time observer, which also includes 16 years of newspaper reporting--covering among other things, the energy industry.

Larry,

You're wasting your time trying to explain it. Trust me, it's falling on deaf ears

2. lovemychris profile image75
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So--do you think rising gas prices are Obama's fault, like Romney said, or are lower prices a bad thing, like Fox-heads said after the price went down?

I remember OPEC from Reagan's years....that's when the big deals all went down, right?

Remember some from Carter too, but Carter was trying to get us off oil---get us to conserve....and that ended when Uncle Ronnie came in.

1. profile image0

This will be my last reply on this. If I am repeating myself, I apologize. I really do not like the forum format because you are never sure who you are replying to.

The rising prices are not Obama's fault.
          Lower prices are not a bad thing--if they do not get too low. If they get too low, producers stop producing. Rigs are not rented. People lose jobs. Refineries lose money because they have excess product to sell. This has happened more than once.

Reagan, Carter and OPEC have no connection, except for their time in history. The U.S. was not producing as much oil as it is today. Many in industry and government made inaccurate estimates about available reserves. 2D seismic was all we had then. 3D and 4D, which tracks areas over time to record movement of reserves give us a much better idea of the available reserves. Because of faulty data the fuel use act was enacted during the Carter years which prohibited the construction of any new electrical plants that would use natural gas. Therefore, we have a coal-fired plant in Central Louisiana, with trains running back and forth to Wyoming to bring coal to a plant in the middle of a state that has abundant gas supplies--government acted too quickly.

Reagan came in and he deregulated the price of crude oil and natural gas. The regulations only applied to oil and gas that was produced between the surface and a certain depth. Anything below that depth was not regulated. The deregulation caused an instant spike increase that took about four months to settle out, if my memory serves me correctly.

Bread prices are dependent on wheat prices. Orange juice prices are dependent upon the price of oranges and gasoline prices are dependent upon the price of oil.

Wheat and orange prices are basically set by buyers and sellers on the futures market.

Gasoline prices follow the average basket price for all of the OPEC crude types that are sold not only here but all over the world. Do a Google search to find a chart comparing oil reserves in countries around the world to Opec. We have a tea cup. OPEC has a supertanker. That cartel is going to set the price of oil.

Because of some major expansions of refineries in this country in the last few years we are now creating more refined products that we can use, so we are selling them to foreign countries and bringing some dollars back to the U.S. No one is going without gasoline and the price is not escalating because of the refined products being sold. Oil prices have come down in recent weeks and so have gasoline prices. I saw a picture last week of a station selling gas for $2.99 a barrel. It was probably a publicity stunt to get some attention, but the price is going down.

Accept the economics. Conditions are such today that the president and all of the people who want to be president cannot by fiat or presidential edict forced a decreased in the price of gasoline. The price is driven by market forces and the fact that the biggest player in the supply market is OPEC.

LMC,

Yes the rising gas prices were Obama's fault. He's the one who overturned the executive order that would have increased supply and kept prices down. That is his fault his fault alone. Remember those famous words, though I know LMC you want to forget them," gas should be over five dollars per gallon"  then candidate Obama.

Your memory of history is interest especially since you claim you come from this era. It was Pres. Nixon who implemented energy conservation measures, not President Carter. Nixon lowered the national speed limit to 55 mi./h, Nixon had Congress approved all kinds of tax breaks for homeowners who upgraded their homes energy efficiency. They could do so by window replacements, insulation, new heating systems, new air-conditioning systems, changing to lower wattage light bulbs, converting to fluorescent lighting and more measures, all of which had tax breaks for the American people. I guess you forgot about this because Nixon was a Republican, oops, I said the R word.

What you remember from the Reagan years was him standing up to OPEC telling them to increase production and lower prices, both by the way OPEC eventually did.

1. profile image0

OK, you continue to skew the information so let's get a few things straight.
            I have voted for Republicans and Democrats over the years.

It was Obama who imposed the moratorium on oil and gas exploration in the Gulf of Mexico following the BP incident, which curtailed domestic supplies of crude oil and gas.

I do not know who LMC is. but no one in their right mind want gas prices to e more than $5 a gallon or anywhere near that.

Yes, Nixon did reduce the speed limit, urged a ban on Christmas lighting and also gave us the era of wage and price freezes--which was a total disaster. I voted for Nixon for his second term.

All of the conservation measures were approved and did help. I do not see your argument.

Reagan made had made a political speech to tell OPEC to lower its prices--he was a fair actor. If OPEC lowered its prices it is because the demand for oil fell as people conserved. Also, around that time, OPEC opened the valves and tried to capture a greater share of the market. The price of oil went way down, forcing many independents out of business because they could not make a profit since the global price of oil, which influences the domestic price was so low.

You stopped at the Reagan years and ignored my remarks about the Carter years and about the errors made by industry and government in determining petroleum reserves, the enactment of the Fuel Use Act and the deregulation of oil and gas prices, which I think actually happened under Reagan's watch, almost positive it did--that pushed the price up.

You do not like today's gasoline prices. I do not either. You want to blame someone and fall back on the old republicans vs democrats ploy. I look for reasons. The price of oil is going down because we are finding more here and in other countries. OPEC still has the most reserves and we are still having to buy oil from them. If prices get too low, a lot of the new domestic oil will go off line--it it cost more to produce than what you make, then you are not going to produce any more than you have to--just enough to keep the well viable.

I previously said my previous response would be my last. I changed my mind.

You made the remark that I claim I was from that era.

I was born in 1951.
            Graduated from college with BA in Journalism  in 1973.
            Began my first newspaper job in JUne of that year--first byline story was about oil shortage.
            Went to work for two other papers over next two years, nothing spectacular from career standpoint.
            Began working for The Daily Review in Morgan City in 1973. Cover the enactment of the Fuel Use Act, covered the up and down prices of gasoline, cover the departure of oil company offices from Louisiana to Texas. Saw prices go up and saw them go down. Saw people not trained in the oil business invest everything they had when prices were high and lose it all when prices fell. Remember the government enacting the windfall profits tax, later repealed.

In 1988 I went to work for the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, a trade group representing the oil and gas industry in Louisiana. Served as media contact. Was quoted in New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, most state newspapers and other publications. My memory is not perfect, but it is pretty good.

More importantly, I am willing to stop blaming the mistakes of the past and to look at the situation as it exists today.

You may reply, I promise you, unless your comments are libelous are you take anything I said out of context, I will reply to that, if I think it is worth the effort.

Larry,

I have no clue why you went ballistic and blame me. Did you not read my comment and notice that it was addressed to LMC? It is quite plain at the top of my comment.  None of my comment was meant for you.

"You do not like today's gasoline prices. I do not either. You want to blame someone and fall back on the old republicans vs democrats ploy. I look for reasons."

I do to look for reasons and solutions. The reason gas prices are coming down now is because president Obama made an announcement that he was going to allow 1000 new natural gas wells to be drilled. He has not followed up on it yet and am curious if he was just an announcement to get speculators to back off. Time will tell because he doesn't follow through, gas prices will go back up again.

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
            Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Somebody didn't pay attention in 9th grade economics class. Obama has no say on the price of oil as Larry Wall pointed out. Any politician, like Romney (who will say anything to get elected) who says so and clams to have a plan to deduce the price of gas is full of crap.

Paul,

Nobody said Obama has a say, but he can influence the price whether you want to admit it or not.

Let me ask you this, forget about gas, how has your electric bill been lately? Seemed to be going up in the last couple of years? are you paying a little more per KW? Your president is so hell-bent against coal that he put in ridiculous regulations against the coal plants and now these conversions are costing a fortune, of course you the consumer are picking up the tab. Some of these coal plants are not able to be converted or it is not cost-effective, therefore those generating plants are be going to be closing. That will put a bigger strain on an already overworked electricity grid. That will also bring up the price of electricity. So while Obama doesn't directly have a say on your electric bill, his actions have influenced it.

Same thing with gas. He was hell-bent on creating five dollar per gallon gas. His first move when he got in office was tax hike on gas. He called it a sin tax trying to promote green energy. The next thing he did was overturned George Bush's Executive Order drilling more oil. The day he rescinded that order, prices jumped 9 dollars a barrel. They went up 23 for the week. I guess you can figure what happened to gas prices after that.

If the president has no influence over gas prices why is it that when gas went over four dollars a gallon and Bush signed the executive order, two days later gasoline prices were under $4.00 a gallon and in less than six months went down to $1.89 per gallon?

What else caused it?

3. lovemychris profile image75

Bush on steroids.

giving me hemmorhoids! smile

4. lovemychris profile image75

Geee--AV told me I escaped froma loony farm, and no one said a word.....is it ok to bash me, and not AV?

I KNEW something like that was going on here in these forums.

The clique rules.

My daughter just gradjeeated high school, and here it is right here on HP!

1. profile image0

I think I have 87 posts on the forums according to the numbers under my name. I see you have in excess of 11,000. Now explain to me what you are talking about the cliques ruling.

1. lovemychris profile image75
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You apologized to AV, after someone told you "not to repsond to this person:...this person was supposed to be me!

Why are you not to respond to me? And why apologize to AV, when he insults with the best of them?

LMC,

Not agreeing with your bogus information is not a an insult. You disagree with me all the time, attack and insult often, I never say nothing about it, you just attacked somebody on another thread with your insult about Jews, and you have the nerve to tell Larry who has been leaving intelligent Well-thought-out responses on my articles on hubs to not respond to me? Where did you get off?

Larry apologized to me because he made a mistake and was man enough to own up to it. He thought the response that I put to you was a response to him, he thought I was questioning him about certain things when actually I am in total agreement with him. Once I pointed out to him that my comments were directed at you, that is why he apologized. He was quite clear, he does not come out on the forums too often and does not understand the format. I applaud him for his honesty, you come out and now want to attack him for properly apologized. Does it never and with you?

Larry,

LMC loves to attack people, put out disinformation, spin anything and everything she can, including the typical left move of all please take pity on me. She knows she wasn't attacked and is now appears to be upset because nobody agrees with her. I guess she is worried because in another thread somebody just accused terror of using racial slurs against Jews, so I guess this is her response year.

I think perhaps maybe she's tired, it's not easy tossing out mis-information and trying to defend all day

There is no clique,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)