jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

The ‘American Dream’ Is a Myth.

1. Bob Zermop profile image91
    Bob Zermopposted 4 years ago

I agree the American Dream is not a reality today, but it can become one. I don't know the protocol for posting links to your own hubs, but I wrote a couple about it.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've likewise concluded that things are pretty grim. Not only as to money and opportunity, but also as to civil rights.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I didn't realize that things are as bad as the article says though.

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
          Petra Vlahposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The "dream" has turned into a nightmare a long time ago

2. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

The "American Dream" is the old 'carrot and the stick trick'

3. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I agree.

The Economy, Government and Education are not equally applied to each person's life, as it should be.

Too much government hurts business.

Corrupt business people crush competition instead of competing hurts.

Corrupt politicians being controlled by lobbyists and bureaucratic bs.

The Economy itself is skewed by both corrupt business practices and government which has diminished equality in America and making the American Dream almost a myth.

I say through common ground, growth and equality can become a realization and make the American Dream more realistic for more people.

4. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

My parents were immigrants, and they bought into the American Dream.  If you were lucky enough to have generations of families before you, I'm sure you didn't have to wade through the crap of "success" definitions like I did.  For the sons and daughters of immigrants, it was all about going to the best schools and making all kinds of money so that you could buy all these material things.  I was luckier than most.  When you can separate your parents' wishes and poison from what YOU really want out of life, I'd say that you are very successful.  I know a lot of unhappy people who worship money and will do anything for it, so I do stay away from them.  But that is the base of the American Dream.  If a person has money, it's supposed to make up for their poor behavior and everything else that is unacceptable.