jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Are you a generous person?

1. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 4 years ago

What do you consider to be generous, and are you being a generous person?

Do you have an inspirational story of a generous incident, (yours or someone else's) that you want to share?

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hold no opinion or belief about my generous nature. I have no need to think about it. My purpose in life negates me. Everything I do is about other people.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Because I was brought up to be respectful of my elders and do right, I look like I am generous and considerate. Frequently I grudgingly do what is right and discover I have changed a life forever.  Then I feel stupid for being selfish. Today I picked up a lady with Alzheimer's and took her to lunch with her sister and brother. I didn't want to pick her up.  But this is my best friends aunt and it was a birthday party for her mom.  I had a lovely time.  Auntie was delightful. (I have known her for many years) When we left she said," When you leave people you love, that you don't see often, it is so hard. You never know when you will see them again".
    I am glad doing right trumps selfishness usually.
    Auntie is 84 and the youngest. She was playing tennis up to last year.

3. handymanbill profile image61
    handymanbillposted 4 years ago

I always try to be generous and give people my time and help. Sometimes if you don't have a whole lot of money then all you can do is give some time. So yes I try to be generous.

4. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 4 years ago

Thanks guys.

That's great.
    I recon we can all do more, and I certainly speak for myself when I say that.
    I love stories like Undercover Boss, or Secret Millionaire. The two things that stand out in these shows is how everyday people can influence the Boss, or Millionaire to be more generous than before they were exposed to the people they spent time with.

1. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I was interrupted, so left out the second thing which is how impacted the Boss and Millionaires were. To the point they give (generously) more than they (perhaps) would have otherwise.

5. Wesley Meacham profile image95
    Wesley Meachamposted 4 years ago

I would not say that I am a generous person.

Neither would I say that I am not a generous person.

I've been generous in some situations and not in others. To a large extent it really depends on the situation and the people involved. There are some people whom I would do anything for. There are others whom I'd do nothing for. But then there could be theoretical situations where these positions might change.

I don't really think of myself as being generous though often (and recently) others have reminded me of times when I was.