jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Your Idea of a Charitable Organization in US

1. msorensson profile image68
    msorenssonposted 4 years ago

What should it focus on? When you answer, please also give an idea on how it can be implemented. It will help me with my research. Thanks in advance.

1. AlexK2009 profile image88
      AlexK2009posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Long term: Improved levels of education and health.

Medium Term: Helping micro businesses with advice as well as money

Short term: alleviation of poverty with perhaps a requirement that  those it helps should give beck by helping others.

msorenssonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Long term challenge..we give them options
        I love the mid term
        Tell me more about the short term. More concrete.
        Thanks, Alex

1. AlexK2009 profile image88
          AlexK2009posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well what I have in mind is a contract something like

"We will do our best to get you out of poverty.  What we ask is that in return you give time ( or money ) to  help someone else".

There is a series in the UK where millionaires go undercover in deprived areas to find charities they can help.  In the last episode the millionaire arranged to pay someone's wages for a year so they had a chance to prove themselves in the labour market.  While not totally relevant  the concept of giving back is important here.

So imagine the foundation took a homeless person as a client ( hate the word but it is useful here)  and gave them food and shelter, the conditions being they should follow the instructions of an assigned mentor and stay off drugs and alcohol for at least a year. And is they manage to get to a point where they are self sufficient ( i.e able to pay rent and survive) they  become  a mentor for two other people ( perhaps not simultaneously), or working in some other charitable capacity And if they reach a point where they do not have that time spare they should give whatever they can, for example  assessing how to handle other clients. 

My idea is perhaps to build a network of ex-clients who help others as part of their repayment. Money is acceptable as well but should be a last resort.

Sorry if this sounds half baked.

msorenssonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No not at all. It is what Wendy had in mind. Me too. Thank, you, Alex

working