jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

March in New York against police 'stop and frisk' tactics

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

March in New York against police 'stop and frisk' tactics
    Thousands of people marched in silence in New York to protest against street checks by police that rights activists say disproportionately target blacks and Hispanics.

The demonstration, called by civil rights organizations, began in Harlem and moved south through Manhattan to the residence of Mayor Michael Bloomberg in Manhattan's posh Upper East Side.

http://news.yahoo.com/march-york-agains … 11038.html

How do we stop abuse of this procedure and still provide security?

2. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

We are Free.  Any authority of us is achieved through our consent.  If a Law Enforcement agent suspects a person of wrongdoing, that person may be detained and patted down for weapons, Officer safety.  If a person is not suspected of a crime and does not consent to a "frisk", then that action would be illegal!

To simply "stop and frisk" everyone is the epitome of tyranny!  Only  a spineless public would succumb to this without resistance!

1. Zelkiiro profile image84
      Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

And that's exactly what happens when the Religious Right gets paranoid about terrorists--sacrifice every right we have to stifle a threat that kills fewer people a year than choking on pen caps!

(Well, I should say "every right except for the 2nd Amendment," because apparently that's the only part of the Constitution that's considered sacred to Conservatives. Free speech? Avoiding self-incrimination? Restrictions on illegal searches and monitoring? Who needs that crap? As long as I gawt mah guns an' mah Bahble, gov'ment cayn't touch me!)

1. Reality Bytes profile image94
        Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

And this is why you are still blue-pilled.  Thinking that security measures are in place for our protection!

Yeah, dem pesky terrorists.  I believe the current statistics make it nine times more likely for an individual to be killed by a law enforcement agent than in a terrorist act.

3. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 3 years ago

Generally the only way you can impress people particularly in these days and times is by hitting them in the pocketbook. I believe there should be a checklist for those who have the authority to frisk Americans. If the official gets X number of complaints as to how they are conducting their search then we start with removing a portion of their pay. If they continue to get complaints they should be taken out of this position altogether.