jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How will Rodney King be remembered?

1. LauraGT profile image85
    LauraGTposted 4 years ago

Rodney King's recent death is a reminder of the police brutality he suffered and the riots that incident ignited.  The aftermath of his life was complicated - he was criticized from different angles, and he continued to struggle with addiction. 

How will he be remembered by history?

1. Wayne Brown profile image84
      Wayne Brownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would guess that he will be a footnote in history at best archived in the news stories of the times, seldom looked upon, and mostly forgotten.  I do not say that to belittle Rodney King but more to point out that far too many other events rise much higher on history's scale.  For all that transpired in that situation, I am still not sure we know we really know what happened and how...much like the Trayvan Martin incident.  King's untimely death will bring the subject to the surface for a day or two, then the story will go back into the dusty archives of eternity.  WB

1. Aficionada profile image94
        Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

A paragraph or two will be dedicated to ensuring that other people are informed of the racial inequality of that time. That's about it.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

As a person who didn't ask for the notoriety that he got.

1. Aficionada profile image94
      Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

4. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

Since I was trained on the use of a baton in my former work, I will always remember the illegal use of the weapon and the excessive use of force on King.  Although I was not present to witness this unfortunate incident, I have always thought of Rodney King as a victim.