jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

American educated, non-military, family man - Egypt's new President

1. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 5 years ago

Mohamed Morsi wins Egypt's Presidential election.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16252240

1. amillar profile image84
      amillarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It seems the military has "stripped the new president of most of his major powers", Paraglider.  I wonder if that sort of nominal power will be much different to the so-called democracy we have in the West now.  Mind you, it seems a bit ironic quoting Sky News on the subject of democracy.

Paragliderposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, prior to the elections, the military did accrue to themselves additional 'emergency' powers to hedge their bets in the event of an outcome they didn't want (which they got). It remains to be seen how cooperative they will be with their old enemy, as under Mubarak the Muslim Brotherhood was proscribed.
        (Re Sky news, not my favourite source either. I get most of my info from Egyptian friends at work and through working in 'a major news channel', albeit in a technical capacity).

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Egypt is in serious danger of becoming a military dictatorship and I can say from personal experience that is never a good thing.

It was a military dictatorship before the revolution. At least now there may be some chance of not returning to that status.

1. Josak profile image60
          Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agreed.

2. Marquis profile image62
    Marquisposted 5 years ago

A God thing or a "good" thing?

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 5 years ago in reply to this

typo, my bad.

3. knolyourself profile image58
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

""Pro-democracy" movements, particularly the April 6 youth movement, trained, funded, and equipped by the US State Department, serve the sole purpose of giving the Muslim Brotherhood's installation into power a spin of "legitimacy" where otherwise none exists. Those within these "pro-democracy" movements with legitimate intentions will be inevitably disappointed if not entirely thrown under the wheels of Western machinations as regional war aimed at destroying Iran, Syria, and Lebanon's Hezbollah arch of influence slowly unfolds."

That is a fair statement of the worst case scenario, yet I'm not quite so pessimistic. The MB in Egypt certainly has a hard core, but it is not fundamentalist through and through and the new President is at least trying to make conciliatory noises. I also think that they will have enough on their domestic plate without worrying too much about international affairs for a year or two to come. Some of the Arab Spring youth movement may have been naive, but for all that, I think they will not sit back and accept more of the same old internal oppression. Let's hope.

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago

So, when does the war with Iran start?

I'm betting that President Romney (after buying the elction with $2 billion super PAC money) will agree that Israel should attack Iran in March of 2014.

5. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 4 years ago

Encouraging development today. The government has repealed the emergency power that allowed the military to arrest civilians.

working