jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Wise Words from a Judge for Young People and Adults:

1. OLYHOOCH profile image61
    OLYHOOCHposted 4 years ago

Wise Words from a Judge for Young People and Adults:

Shared with me by my friend Ed Phinney

The judge who regularly deals with youth offers the following words of wisdom:

"Always we hear the cry from teenagers "What can we do, where can we go?"
    ... My answer is, Go home, mow the lawn, wash the windows, learn to cook, build a raft, get a job, visit the sick, study your lessons, and after you've finished, read a book.

Your town does not owe you recreational facilities and your parents do not owe you fun. The world does not owe you a living, you owe the world something. You owe it your time, energy and talent so that no one will be at war, in poverty or sick and lonely again.

In other words, grow up, stop being a cry baby, get out of your dream world and develop a backbone, not a wishbone. Start behaving like a responsible person. You are important and you are needed. It's too late to sit around and wait for somebody to do something someday. Someday is now and that somebody is you."

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Too bad he buries the most important line: "You are important and you are needed."

2. ledefensetech profile image81
    ledefensetechposted 4 years ago

You're only as important as to what you meaningfully contribute to society.  Far too many kids have a sense of entitlement and no realization as to how good they have it.  I like the show "World's Strictest Parents", it should be renamed "World's Smartest Parents".  Using farmwork and some well placed honesty from parents really shows most of these kids what they really have and how easy they have it.  I'd be interested to see how long the changes last.

MM, kids are told from day one that they're "special" and other things that are supposed to help their "self-esteem".  What they aren't told is to look at themselves, their behavior and how that affects people around them.  That's why we have things like that horrific bus driver video that's been playing all over the Internet lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l93wAqn … r_embedded

This judge has the right idea.

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

If the world owes me nothing, then I owe the world nothing. Am I goody-two-shoes? Share and share alike.