Recycle Old Computers: Reuse Them
Recycle. reduce, reuse is still the mantra for reducing and preventing further environmental degradation. But reuse is the highest form of being ecologically conscious. Electronics gadget, specially desk tops and lap tops are one of the most toxic products on the market. Reusing your old computers is the best way you can keep them out of landfills. You will also minimize the need to go out and buy new electronic.
If enough people did that, there will be less exploitation of the earth’s resources. The idea here is to keep using something as long as possible so that we minimize the need to get new stuff.
That is the best way to prevent further unnecessary exploitation of the earth’s resources. It also reduces unnecessary over production of goods using fossil fuel. Last but not least it reduces more material entering the west stream thus preventing further accumulation of waste in the landfills. This way we can avoid the leaching of toxic material into the soil and ground water.
When your computer is too slow and can't be upgraded anymore, It still can be very useful. Listed below are some cool ideas on how to re-purpose your computer which other wise might be collecting dust or tossed out.
How You can Put Your Old Computer to Good Use
- You can install Linux OS (Linux based operating system) and you can continue using it or you can give it to someone in need. Linux is an operating system just like windows and the best part is that it is free.There is a compatible Liniux os for every computer and plenty of information on line about it.Check out instructables,com
- You can reuse your old computer to experiment with soft ware that you don’t dare experiment with in your new computer. If you are a computer geek or even if you are not, but are interested in learning, then you can even pull the computer apart and put it back together again or install things to make the computer a better one.
Reusing an Old PC as a Server Part 1
- Your children can use it to play around and experiment with soft ware and to play games
- You can use it as a backup server. If your computer has a big enough hard drive then it can easily be converted to a backup server. You can use the free program backup server 3.1.
Reusing an old computer as a server part 2
- You can re purpose your old computer by connecting to a bunch of computers around the world to solve important world problems. There are different organizations you can donate computer power to. Some are trying to find a cure for Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s. Others are studying global warming and many other scientific research. So you can choose whatever interests you and then download their program and install it on your computer. Decide how much power you are going to donate to the cause and that is all you have to do. What this does is create a super computer that enables scientist to do experiments they will not be able to do without these super computers.
More Cool Stuff that can be Done with an Old computer
- It can be your spare part supply. The parts can be used to repair the computers you use.
- you can turn it into a firewall to protect your computer.You can find a step by step guide at reviews.cnet.com for this.
- It can be your media center. You need some computer saviness for this one. makeuseof.net has directions for this.
Make Something else out of Your Old Computer
If you can’t use it for the above reasons then you can use its parts to make something else
- One idea that I saw on a website is making a fancy wallet from a clear plastic component of the keyboard.
- The keys can be made into thumb tacks.
- Computer fans can make great air filters.
- The mother board can be made into beautiful jewelry.
- The hard drive platter can be made into a clock.
Go to instructables.com for step by step instruction on how to make these things.
Reusing your old computers and other electronics is a fun and rewarding way of helping mother earth's environment. You learn a lot in the process.
Links with more Information on Electronic Recycling
- Recycling Electronics while Making Money
All over the country excellent companies are springing up that will pay you money for recycling electronics that you don't use. Most of these companies are motivated by a desire to lessen the damage to the environment. In this article you will find s
- Buying the Most Eco Friendly Computer Products
I am a strong advocate of reuse, so my first advice is for you to buy refurbished computer. It will be the most eco friendly computer product you can buy. Refurbished computers are becoming very popular...
- Electronics recycling for a Cleaner Safer Environment
IT seems almost every 6 months a new electronic gadget comes out that people feel compelled to buy and throw out a perfectly functioning old one. Thus our electronic waste is doubling and tripling and enviromentally safe recycling of electronic waste
- Comparing Electronic Recycling Policies of Apple, Dell, and HP
Comparing these three giants of the electronic industry I was surprised to find that all of them were just paying lip service to being green or sustainable until very recently. Most probably pushed by many...
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle | Repurpose and Recycle Your Gadgets | Got2BeGreen
Here are some great ways to go green and save money by repurposing and recycling gadgets.
- Turn Your Windows PC into a Media Center Powerhouse On the Cheap - DVR - Lifehacker
If you've purchased a new Windows computer in the past few years that's running Windows Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium or Ultimate and you aren't taking advantage of its baked-in DVR Media Center software, it's time we change that. Why?
More by this Author
Northern Ethiopia is home to the Amhara and Tigray ethnic groups. But within this two groups there are differences in manners of speech and culture according to regions. So even the seemingly homogeneous north is rich...
What is injera or enjira as it is sometimes spelled? Injera is a flat crepe like food that has millions of bubbles or wholes on its surface. In Ethiopia injera is not considered bread. Injera is injera the stuff of...
Grilling fish and chicken on a panini grill is is an easy, quick and healthy way of cooking these foods. It takes about 4 to 10 minutes, doesn't need much oil or butter, excess fat is drained off, and the best part...