10 Really Bad Gift Choices For Brides-To-Be
Bridal protocol, thinking.
Let me get this straight. Even with the "political correctness" influence in 2016, brides-to-be want to be as girly and feminine at their bridal shower and eventual wedding day, their most-special of days. Now if I am wrong, forgive me. I'm old, in fair health, and on a whole lot of medications.
And that girly, feminine mindset can be applicable to the gifts a bride receives at her bridal shower. Right? Okay. So far. So good.
Sample gift ideas.
Most brides love to receive pretty lingerie (for their wedding night), lovely crystal glasses and such as well as jewelry and sometimes, I'm guessing here, an iPad, cell phone or something along these lines. I went with my fiance to her bridal shower by her invitation and her girlfriends gave her cookware, dishes, and yes, some girly things, but all in all, I was not uneasy to be there.
There's one in every crowd.
This old saying is easily seen in "some" bridal showers that go wrong. Not because of the bride hating the girlfriend(s), but the strange and non-bridal gift that they give to this blushing bride. It happens. I say that because life is not perfect. Neither are bridal showers.
This is, without a doubt, "THE" Worst gift a bride can receive!
Here is a short list of . . .
10 Really Bad Gift Choices For Brides-To-Be
- Men's shoes - - what bridesmaid would have the lack of sense to give her best friend a pair of men's shoes as a "real" gift at her bridal shower? New or worn completely out. Men's shoes is surely a "bad gift" to give to a pretty bride.
- Tools - - I want to be fair to both female and male sexes here. Women today can use tools that were once tagged for men. But now you have to consider the girly, feminine aspect and a set of screwdrivers when unwrapped will cause most brides' eyes to widen, her mouth to fly open and give the girl an angry stare that asks, "why?" I would hope the girlfriend who gives her friend, the bride, a set of tools would think quickly and tell her it is a "gag gift."
- Fishing Rod - - not the most girly or feminine gift, but barely acceptable "if" the bride has a background of loving the outdoors which includes fishing with her fiance before they agreed to be hitched. But I do not recommend to you bridesmaids to follow my advice except you know for sure that the bride is an outdoors-person.
- Canned Goods - - green beans, cream corn and the like. No way, if I were a bride, accept this in a good spirit. I have to wonder how strong the friendship is between a girl who gives a gift like this and the bride who receives it. I just hope that they have a history of pranking each other.
- Socks - - maybe at Christmas or birthday's, but socks at a bridal shower? To the girl giving this gift: "Are you purposely trying to irritate the bride before her day of days? Oh, I see. She stole, "Darryl Ledlow," your boyfriend way back in the eighth grade and you never forgave her." I see. Good luck.
- A Set of Tires - - all wrapped in pretty gift paper. I didn't make a typo. I said a set of tires. Some practical-thinking brides "might" love this gift for it will save her and her husband some needed-cash when it comes time to buy tires for her. Other than that, I highly discourage you from going this route. Unless GoodYear is having a big sale.
- Notepads, Pens - - are okay if the bride is going to stay at her job as an "administrative assistant," (thanks to one of my sweet followers, MizBejabbers), then she can use these items. But I have never seen a pretty bride who thought a notebook or pen was girly or feminine.
- Model Car Kits - - I got nothing. You were not really thinking of giving your friend, the bride, this gift were you? Oh, you like to hear me beg? "Pleeeaaasseee do not do this." There. You got your wish.
- A Homemade Birdhouse - - Now this is the "perfect" gift for a pretty bride. And since "I" build pretty birdhouses and sell them, go ahead. Contact me for special "bridal shower prices" on girly, feminine birdhouses.
- Wall Posters - - of Marilyn Monroe; Jessica Alba and Jennifer Love Hewitt. Girl, you must have a "death wish," and nerves of Chuck Ladell, former mixed martial arts World Champion to give a bride one or all of these posters. I am serious.
- And "the" baddest of all the bad gifts that can be given to a lovely bride is . . .
- A Bear Trap - - I do not need to explain this to any of any bride's girlfriends, bridesmaids, friendly or holding a grudge.
(Legal disclaimer: My mention of "Darryl Ledlow," in this piece is in no way intended as "making light," or causing anyone really named "Darryl Ledlow," any embarrassment. Kenneth).
Be Advised: Make sure that every intimate detail of the bride-to-be's shower, wedding, reception goes off without a hitch.
More by this Author
Normally, I would be advising people on "how to be kicked out" of a friend's wedding reception, but not this time.
Weddings are a serious event and by all standards, they should be. But there is no law against a few harmless pranks you can pull on the newlyweds.
I cannot hide my life any longer.