Communications Expert Soraya Deen Discusses Compassion
Compassion is defined by Merriam-Webster as: the act or process of using words, sounds, signs, or behaviors to express or exchange information or to express your ideas, thoughts, feelings, etc., to someone else.
Soraya Deen shared the following inspirational highlights about compassion on the 2014 24-Hours of Motivation livestream event, presented by Sales Expert Che Brown, Marketing Guru Trevor Otts, and the Les Brown Platinum Speakers Network:
- The heart is the foundation of our ability to show compassion. Communication (distance of) stops our compassion.
- Spiritual Practices: Engage in something you like to do- fasting, meditation, walking….
- What happens around you should not get in you.
- Compassion heals, no compassion hurts.
- Practice compassion if you want to be happy or make others happy.
- Have the ability to move forward and understand others need for compassion.
- Embody and show up with compassion, it’s a personal responsibility.
- Don’t dispense judgment- Judgment prevents us from seeing the good and being compassionate. Refrain from it. Observe without judging is the highest form of compassion.
- Don’t deny responsibility – how can we show up different?
- Don’t tell people they deserve what they have.
- Be a committed torch bearer for compassion.
- Escalate Compassion – Know that “no” is not rejection.
- Let go of the past because you can’t see the future. Letting go is letting in.
An Exercise in Compassion
Make 3 columns and write:
- What a person is doing
- Judgment about it
- The need that creates action
We must lower our expectations in relationships; it is the #1 disappointment.
When we are compassionate, we are able to forgive.
Embody the compassion in our homes, especially with our children and become powerful transformational parents.
Soraya Deen, is an Inspirational Speaker, Lawyer and Author. She is a communications expert. She is the Founder and President of Peacewrks, a Center for Conflict Resolution and peacemaking. Soraya travels widely promoting interfaith dialogue through Compassionate Communication.
Jo Anne Meekins
Inspired 4 U
More by this Author
Three poems of love and appreciation for that special man in your life. An expression of friendship, intimacy and romance between soul-mates.