Don't Boycott Love: Be Your Own Valentine
If you're single during Valentine's Day, focus on the love in your heart.
With that one day in the year when couples are celebrating Cupid's arrow (or still feeling the bite of it's power), it's a challenge for people who are single to avoid moping around. How can it be avoided when the media is splashed with cheesy advertising bent on turning profits for you to "show your love."
It doesn't have to be about gifts. And it certainly doesn't take two people.
If you're one of those people who has been happily single all year round, Valentine's Day will be no different. You still have love in your heart, only there's no one (presently) to share it with. In many ways, you have several people to share it with: family, friends, mostly yourself!
If it's any consolation, did you know that the day after Valentine's Day is the most popular day for new membership on Ashley Madison (the website which advertises, "Life is short-- have an affair!")? If you don't have a significant other, you know for sure no one is out there cheating on you!
Before you get desperate and start drunk-texting exes or gorge on Ben and Jerry's, here are a few more facts about Valentine's Day you may not have known about:
- According to Zagat's, 59% of people prefer to dine out on any other day besides Valentine's Day. You get much better deals on days other than the holiday.
- Teachers get the most Valentine's Day cards. Who said teachers don't get paid enough?
- After Christmas, Valentine's Day is the biggest seller of greeting cards. Those commercials sure do pay off!
- It's estimated that some nine million people buy gifts for their pets. Hey, gotta love your animals, too!
- Condom sales go up by 20 percent around Valentine's Day. Some people are feeling "lucky" it seems.
- Ten percent of women send themselves flowers. Like I said: you can always love yourself!
Valentine's Day isn't nearly as lonely as some singles might think. In fact, it's been noted as one of the most stressful holidays by people in relationships. Blame the media and the pressure they put on the event!
Don't sweat the small stuff and remember to be good to yourself. Invite yourself out for dinner or stay in with a movie and glass of wine. Love is in your heart-- regardless of having it to share with someone.
If you're lucky, Cupid's arrow is already taking aim on you right now.
What bothers you most about Valentine's Day?See results without voting
More by this Author
News of James Hooker just broke about how he was arrested for acts against a minor before his recent 18-year-old fling that caused him to leave his wife and kids. Jacee Dugard's tale of abduction and entrapment ring a...
Are you seeing someone, or dating? Is the man or woman you're seeing your "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" or just a friend? In the many stages of dating, there are so many facets that can lead to...
What about men attracts women the most? If you're dying to find out, read on.... for ladies: if you love to see eye candy, check out what I've put together.