How can you make more friends?
How can you make more friends?
When I was around ten years old, our family friend given us a little white -haired pup. I saw him growing up in front of me. He was the one of the joy of my childhood. Every afternoon, he would sit in the front yard with his beautiful eyes staring steadfastly at the path. As soon as he see me coming from my school, he was off like a shot, racing breathlessly running through the way to greet me with leaps of joy and barks of sheer ecstasy. When I get within ten feet of him, he will begin to wag his tail. If you stop and pat him, he will almost jump out of his skin to show you how much he likes you. And you know that behind this show of affection on his part, there are no ulterior motives: He dosen't want to sell you any computer or insurance, and he doesn't want to marry you.
Dominic was my constant companion for many years. He never read a book
on psychology. He didn't need to. He knew by some divine instinct
that he can make more friends in two months by becoming genuinely
interested in other people than he can in two years by trying to get
other people interested in him. A hen has to lay eggs, a cow has to
give milk. But a dog make his living by giving you nothing but love.
We want to sell, we want to get married, we want to attract women, we want many thing but still we are not able to use the much needed tool to get along with friends and relatives. Unconditional Love is the only tool which can produce more results than any other things. Remember "You reap what you saw" It's a golden rule.
Apostle Paul said about Love: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
Say to your loved one that I love you!
Another way to keep a friendship is to be courteous. Rudeness is the cancer that devours friendship. Everyone knows this. We are polite to our strangers than we are to our own friends. We should not open our friends mail without permission or do not pay attention to their personal secrets. Do not laugh at the trivial faults of our friends.
Dorothy Dix said: "It is amazing but true thing that practically the only people who ever say mean, insulting wounding things to us are those or our own households".
"Courtesy is that quality of heart that overlooks the broken gate and calls attention to the flowers in the yard beyond the gate" Says Henry Clay Risner. Courtesy is just as important to marriage as oil is to your motor.
There are few tips to make more friends.
1. Spend more time around people: Make every efforts to go out and meet people who are around your locality. Sitting inside your flat or house and watching TV or playing Computer games will not bring friends to your house. You must go out and spend time with people. Take interest in their interests. Let them know you that you are a true friend. A friend in need is the friend in deed.
2. Be yourself. Remember, you cannot hide your true self for a long time. It is irritating to see some one who is not honest. No one will believe in you. If there is no faith in between two persons, your friendship will grow cold. Do not think a friendship is a one way. If it is so, it will not last. While receiving help from others, you are supposed to extend a helping hand to others as well.
3 Be a volunteer. Volunteering is a great way for people of all ages to meet others. By volunteering you will find people who have similar passion and vision. Working together with such people will build bonds with people of same interest. You will get satisfaction as well as find people who admire you for the social work you are doing. It is a great way to make new friends.
4. Another way to make friends is to Talk to people. In the middle of the crowd, you could be a stranger, if you are not willing to open your mouth. You may be in the church or a club, still you feel that you are a stranger there, it is not because they are your enemies or strangers. If you are not interested in starting a friendly conversation, you will remain a stranger. Be out spoken is the outstanding quality of persons who have more friends. When you stand in line for getting your ticket, you can start a friendly conversation with the person who stand before or after. When you visit the grocery store, you can talk to the Clark at the store. A little conversation and acquaintance can build a lasting friendship. Don't be too reserved.
5. Be reliable: To keep your friendship, you need to be reliable on everything. If you agreed to meet your friend, don't be late or make your friend to wait for you unexpectedly. If you realize that you would not be able to keep your promise, inform your friend as soon as you realize that you could not make it and apologize and ask to reschedule. It can avoid unwanted waiting and broken relationship. If you agreed to do something, do it. If you can't do that tell him/her openly.
6. Join a musical Class or Sports Team: To make new friends, you can join a musical class where you can learn to play musical instruments or singing. You don't have to be a musician to do that. If you have some interest in learning, age would not be a barrier. Learning and playing musical instruments will keep you mentally fit. At the same time you can develop friendship with fellow learners. Or you can join local sports team where you enjoy sports. You don't have to be an expert in the sports. Your team mates would be happy to teach you the techniques of the sports while playing. At the same time you can develop good friendship. It will keep you fit physically.
7. Be a good Listener.
Being a good listener can increase the friendship. Many a times peoples wants to share their thoughts and feelings. They need a person to share it. If you carefully listen what is said, they feel that you are a great friend. They do not want you to do anything. They only need a listener. During the time of Civil war, Abraham Lincoln asked one of his neighbor in Springfield, Illinois to visit him. When the fried came Lincoln talk about the proclamation freeing the slaves. Lincoln talk about the argument for and against such a move, and the read newspaper articles and letters denouncing him for not freeing the slaves and others denouncing him for fear he was going to free them. Without asking the opinion of the guest, Lincoln did all the talking. He wanted a good listener to whom he could unburden himself. Around us, there are people who need a good listener. A hurt friend and an irritated customer need a good listener.
8. Make your friends feel that they are important to you.
Desire to be important is one of the human nature, deepest urge that exist withing almost all of us. If you treat your friends as less important to you, they would not be with you for a long time. Nobody wanted to be mistreated. Be careful in treating your friends as important as yourself. Do not allow them to wait for you. Be punctual in your appointments. Not only to have a good friends, but also for having a great family life, you need to use the strategy of making other feel important to you. Jesus said that "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" Every one of us wanted to be treated as important. In your family, in your society, in your work place you desire to be treated as important. If you like to be treated important, others also have the same desire as you have.
9. Appreciate your friends
Appreciate your friends for being with you as a friend. A sincere and hearty appreciation will keep them with you. You do crave sincere appreciation, but you don't want to listen to cheap, insincere flattery. All of us want hearty appreciation and lavish praise. If you like that, do it to others too. They too love to be appreciated.
- Love your neighbour as Yourself
Mathew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and...
- Live today with a grateful heart
Today Yesterday is the closed chapter. Tomorrow is yet to come. Today is the day to live. When I wake up in the morning I want to thank God for giving a new day. When I get out of my bed I'll come out with...
More by this Author
The range of sound that can be heard clearly by a human being extends from about 20 Hz to 20000 Hz (one Hz = one cycle/s). Animals such as dogs and children under the age of five can hear up to 25 kHz (1 kHz = 1000 Hz)....
The term "social responsibilities" can be defined as the obligation of management towards society and others. Reason for Social Responsibilities: Business enterprises are creatures of society and should...
What is a Joint Venture? When two or more persons join together to carry out a specific business venture and share the profits on an agreed basis it is called a 'joint venture'. Each one of them who join as a...