How to Be Really Good Friend
It's great to 'be there' for a friend. But, what does it mean and how do you do it?
Some days you need a really, great friend. Some days you get to be a really, great friend.
Taking friendship is much easier than giving your friendship. You shouldn't expect anything in return, if you do, it's really not friendship. This is why it's so important to give appreciation and gratitude when you accept friendship.
Being a friend is not easy thing at times. No one can be a perfect friend. We make mistakes, we have our own selfish moments and moments of weakness. Forgive yourself and your friends when we make mistakes, those times we aren't the greatest of best friends. Then look ahead to the next day when we can try again, fix things, talk and make things work out better.
How to be a Great Friend
- Never lie to your friend. You can be kind while still being honest.
- Respect her opinions. Especially when it comes to dating, value that second opinion.
- Balance between listening and talking. Let friends talk about themselves, guilt free and without getting into a one one-upmanship contest.
- Work with each other's strong and weak points. Usually one friend is the leader and the other the follower. One is a planner and the other shows up late. Etc.
- Cultivate the friendship. Have your inside jokes, your shared past and the things you only do with just that friend.
- Don't offer advice too freely. It's often better to wait until asked, or to offer it carefully, just a bit at a time.
- Display some affection, reach out and touch a friend, literally.
- Don't think short term. Plan to keep the friendship going for the long haul.
- Don't be envious or jealous of a friend. Instead be happy for her and proud of her.
Read More About Being a Friend
More by this Author
How to be a new, modern spinster and enjoy your own company while being happy living alone.
Romantic flowers in ASCII art can be sent in email.
When did you last make paper snowflakes? Get paper, scissors, a pencil and maybe some glitter - start folding and cutting. If you make enough you can have a paper snow storm.