Saying Happy Birthday to an Online Friend
This hub is dedicated to a very special friend on her birthday (today) -
People – humans – need friends; they don’t need enemies. This is an indisputable fact. The challenge is to establish meaningful friendships.
Some profound quotes :
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. - Jim Morrison
- A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same. - Elbert Hubbard
- One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- A friend should be one in whose understanding and virtue we can equally confide, and whose opinion we can value at once for its justness and its sincerity. - Robert Hall
- “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. - George Washington
Life Balance Diagram
Question: Do you set a high value on online friends?
- Perhaps because I am a writer, preferring the written word above the spoken word,
- perhaps because I am more able to express my thoughts and ideas in writing,
- perhaps because my daily schedule is overloaded with responsibilities and activities of al sorts, leaving me with no decent hours left to socialize with friends,
- perhaps because I am too lazy to keep myself respectable and receptive for face-to-face interactions,
- perhaps because most people are too busy taking care of their responsibilities to spend quality time with friends,
- perhaps because TIME is truly relative in cyberspace - The moment I write a message to a friend, becomes the moment they read my message. The next moment they reply, becomes the moment I read their reply. As if the time in between is non-existing.
I prefer online friendships.
Question: Tell me about your online friendship(s)
According to this quote:
“Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. - George Washington
I have many online friends, but only a few, and especially one, intimate friendships....
Question: Who is this specific person with whom you are intimate online - or shall I rather ask with whom you share all your personal thoughts?
You should know the precession of our friendship:
When I entered cyberspace for the first time in the beginning of 2010, I - who tend to trust every Dick, Tom, Harry, Joan, Jenny and Ann - immediately became the victim of a con-artist - and let me rather not spoil this special interview with any detail about that particular punk. Fact is I have survived and I have promised myself never to allow any e-mail messages from strangers again, but only interaction on public sites where con-artists and bullies can be identified and eliminated before they get a chance to invade my personal space.
But practising courteousness and discreteness online and not being able to share my personal thoughts with fellow-writers, I felt alone and insecure. I realized that I needed the true opinions of friends – opinions they will never give "in public".
upset because I have lost my temper online for all to "see", I received a message in my inbox:
I've been thinking about you and wanted you to know I am always here if I can help with anything. I think we have much in common. I think we are both amazingly resilient as survivors of our own stuff.
All my love & always here for you,
Maria (marcoujor aka Maria Couchara Jordan)
So nice of you to reach out to me like this. Most of us writers have much in common – sensitive souls, inquisitive minds, emphatic hearts, memories of too many traumas...
I am sorry for the ripples I have made in there, but I know I am not unrealistic and not irrational. I know I blew that gasket on behalf of many others.
I appreciate your concern.
Take care, and thanks again for your kindness.
And so Maria Jordan aka marcoujor became my best friend – my online sista. She lives thousands of miles away from me; I will never get the opportunity to hug her. Yet she lives in my computer and boots and all inside my mind and heart.
With Maria in my life I am able to believe in my own convictions. With her in my life I cannot develop crooked perceptions and perspectives, because her opinions keep mine in balance.
Maria Jordan aka Marcoujor
Maria Jordan aka marcoujor
Today – 27 November - is Maria’s birthday.
My dearest Maria, may you have a wonderful day and only the best of peace, happiness and good health onwards.
My gift to you is 7 Abhanga poems on a staff.
Abhang or abhanga (Marathi: अभंग) is a form of devotional poetry sung in praise of the Hindu god Vitthala. The word "abhang" comes from -
- a for "non"
- bhang for "ending" or "interrupting"
Abhang: No Ending.... No Interrupting....
A staff (or stave) is the system of five horizontal lines on which musical notes are written.
In traditional music theory within the English-speaking world, pitch classes (notes) are represented by the first seven letters of the Latin alphabet (A, B, C, D, E, F, G).
© Martie Coetser
More by this Author
Ignoring someone you should not ignore is a sign that you dread the consequences of communication.
Who said the cons of having imaginary friends are more than the pros? In fact, they are the crystallization of one's thoughts, ideas and feelings.
Tomato craving (tomatophagia) may be tied to iron deficiency (anemia) and perhaps deficiencies of other minerals and vitamins. But is it possible to overdose on tomatoes?