Ideas for Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Most brides in the midst of planning their wedding at some point hear the popular wedding poem:
Something old, something new,
Something borrowed, Something blue,
And a silver sixpence in your shoe.
Many brides try to incorporate these items into their wedding day in one way or another. These days, the items don't even have to be something that you would actually "wear" on your wedding day. Modern brides have come up with a plethora ways to incorporate the items from this poem into their wedding day. I have listed some of the more popular ideas below, but the only limitation you have when coming up with ways to incorporate these items into your wedding is your imagination!
Something old is used to signify the link the bride has to her family. Even though she is starting a new family, it doesn't mean that she will forget about her former family. There are several different options a bride has for wearing something old in your wedding. I wore my grandmother's necklace in my wedding to represent my something old. Many brides choose to wear a piece of jewelry from an older family member, but if this idea does not appeal to you, there are many other options!
- Wear an old wedding gown or veil
- Sew lace from an old wedding gown onto the inside of your gown
- Wear an old garter, maybe one your mother or grandmother wore in her wedding
- Wear an old tiara
Something New signifies the new life that the bride and groom are about to begin together. This part represents hope and a joyous outlook on the future of your marriage. Fortunately, it is not difficult to find something to use for your something new. There are a wide variety of options that you can use for your something new:
- Bridal Gown
- Wedding rings
- Lip Gloss
The item that you choose for your something borrowed typically comes from a family or happily married couple and signifies that they are lending the bride and groom happiness and success for their own marriage. Something borrowed is an item that can typically be used along with the something old. For instance, if you wear your mother's veil but will not be keeping it, the veil could be your something old and something borrowed as well. You can borrow nearly anything for your something borrowed:
- Wedding gown
There are also some creative ways that you can apply this as well:
- Borrow a friend's nail polish or lipstick to wear on your big day
- Borrow an older couple's wedding vows that they used on their wedding day
- Incorporate an older relatives hankie into your bouquet
On your wedding day, the something blue represents fidelity. The possibilities for wearing something blue are nearly endless. There are so many different ways your can incorporate this into your wedding. Some great and creative ideas for you something blue:
- One creative idea that some brides use to incorporate "something blue" into their wedding is to paint their fingernails or toenails blue. You can use light blue, dark blue, or do blue tips on a french manicure instead of the usual white.
- Many brides choose to wear a garter that is either completely blue, or has a blue ribbon or bit of blue lace on it.
- Another great way to add a touch of blue to your wedding is to wear a piece of blue jewelry. Something as simple as a beautiful silver ring or necklace with a blue stone is a gorgeous way to add blue to your wedding.
- A blue sash for your wedding dress
- Blue hair pins
- Blue eye shadow - I have even heard of some people with blue eyes using that as their something blue!
- Light blue shoes
- Where blue lingerie under your wedding dress!
- Carry blue flowers in your bouquet
What was your favorite part from this wedding day poem to use in your own wedding?See results without voting
More by this Author
When you first find out your dog has fleas, getting rid of fleas can certainly seem to be an overwhelming task at first. But try not to be overly alarmed; it can be done and you CAN get rid of the fleas on your dog and...