I'm a girl - Why do I get along better with guys?
It’s just me. Maybe it’s the way I was raised. Ever since I can remember, I never really got on that great with other girls. It wasn’t jealousy – I just didn’t click with them. I’m not one of those girls who you see gossiping and shopping with other girls (or at least you don’t see me enjoying it). I can try to get along and I still make an effort, but after a while, I feel like I shouldn’t have to try that hard.
There are a few things that make it difficult for me to get along with girls:
- I don’t really take an interest in a lot of the things many other girls do. I don’t wear a lot of makeup, I bargain-shop, I don’t watch trash TV.
- I don’t like to compete for attention. In a group of girls, I feel like they are all trying to get in on the conversation, add their say, be the nicest… If someone overrides me in a conversation, I just let them go for it and will find something else to do.
- I don’t know how to hold a good conversation with other women. I know that some girls get bored around me, but don't think I know how to show I'm interested because they'll just go talk to other girls instead.
- I like to shop alone so I don’t end up with something I don’t need. Plus I’m not on someone else’s time and I can either take the time I need or leave when I want.
- I prefer to go to the bathroom by myself. I don’t like to go with a partner or a clan.
I know that the women I’ve described are not necessarily typical. However, I find myself in the situation where I am struggling to get along with other girls, such as gatherings with my partner’s co-workers. Especially the ones with kids. I seem at a loss because I didn’t grow up with little babies in my family, so I don’t know what to do when someone hands me one. … Tends to make me not a hit with the mothers.
I find it unfortunate that I don't have the maternal instinct because I feel like girls can be such good friends when they can tell something is wrong, when they take the time to pull someone aside to ask if there is anything the matter. I feel badly because I want to be better company with other women, but it is just easier for me to get along with men. Less pressure because I don’t have to worry about being weird or crude!
I am lucky to have a best friend who I get along with perfectly, who I can make jokes with and not be afraid of offending with my sense of humor (I wanted one bridesmaid by my side at my wedding and that’s her!). I’m lucky to have a partner who makes me feel comfortable and special. I’m lucky to have friends and family who accept me for who I am so I don’t have to worry about only having a few girl friends J
More by this Author
How much should an engagement ring cost? One rule states that it should cost two months worth of wages. In reality, a couple should work together to decide how much an engagement ring should cost. Learn about a few...
Have you ever heard of power feminism? Two women, Katie Roiphe and Naomi Wolf, say that society doesn't oppress women because women are powerful enough to control their fates. Women who don't have the mindset of a...
Christmas holds different meanings for many people. For me, it has always meant family, memories, togetherness, and much more.