Is It OK For the Girl to Propose?
Who should Propose Marriage?
Cute and Beauty were colleagues in an office. They became so close that everybody in their office including their boss opined that they were a perfect match. Cute contemplated about these assertions and decided to propose to Beauty. However, it happened that because of Cute’s mistake at work, Beauty was given a query by the boss. Beauty was very angry with Cute unknown to him and this was the time Cute smiled into her office to make the planned proposal. Cute got the shocker of his life as the woman she is so fond of called him her greatest enemy. She said “God forbid that I marry a wicked man like you, get behind me Satan, she continued”
The major bane of many wonderfully packaged proposals is wrong presentation timing; WHEN TO PROPOSE. A good proposal presented at the wrong time may likely get thrown out. Other marital proposal challenges of how and where to propose marriage is dependent on the flexibility, wisdom, discretion and romantic content of WHO is making the proposal:
1. Our PARENTS; one of the most common culturally accepted modes of marriage proposal is the one done by the parents of the intending couple. The man who made acquaintance and friendship of a lady he intends to marry first makes his intention known to his own parents. His parents will then approach the parents of the lady in question to communicate the marriage intention of their son. The parents of the lady will then ask to be given a little time to crosscheck from their daughter. They will then enquire from their daughter if she knew the man in question and inform her of the marriage proposal.
The parents of the man will then return at the agreed time to receive feedback concerning the proposal from the parents of the lady. The lady must have communicated her response to her parents earlier. The cultural process above forms the marriage proposal.
2. However, GOD is incomparable in wisdom for all things. In the biblical culture, we have seen God complete the marital process and brought the woman Eve to the man Adam (Gen.2:22-24).
3. The MAN can also propose to the lady he found and can through the help of other men as intermediaries make the proposal. Judah as a man took a wife Tamar for his son Er (Gen.38:6). Jacob found life partner for himself as he followed the father’s advice: “Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured. And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter. And Laban said, it is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me. And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her. And Jacob said unto Laban; Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her”. (Genesis 29:17-21)
4. The WOMAN can also propose marriage. Hagar as a woman and mother brought wife for her son Ishmael (Gen21:21). Ruth a woman acting on the counsel of another woman Naomi, got married to Boaz. In Israel, spreading the skirt over a woman was a symbol of taking her under one's protection and entering into marriage with her. “And he said, who art thou? And she answered, I am Ruth thine handmaid: spread therefore thy skirt over thine handmaid; for thou art a near kinsman.” (Ruth 3:9)
When marriages were solemnized among the Jews, the man threw the skirt of his talith or robe over his wife and covered her head with it. Spreading the skirt over a woman was a symbol of taking her under one’s protection and entering into marriage with her. Ruth’s act was the proper and honorable way of a woman saying to a man, “take me for your wife.
5. Even a SERVANT Eliezer of Damascus as Abraham’s servant brought wife for Isaac his master’s son. In Gen.24:2-4, Abraham sent the eldest, more committed, wiser and more experienced servant Eliezer and not one of his young and inexperienced servants to get a wife for Isaac.
The marital proposal challenge of who should propose is solved by answering the question, “who can find a wife?” See our earlier article from the link section below.
WHO CAN FIND A LIFE PARTNER?
- Father, thank you for your daily mercies & provisions in Jesus Name
- Thank you for the privilege to be alive & to have you as my ally in these my heart desires for this year in Jesus Name
- Father, forgive me for all attempts in the past to fulfill my marriage heart desires by my power in Jesus name.(Prov.16:3)
- Father, turn the heart of my life partner to look my way this year as in Jesus name.
- Father, by the power of the Holy Spirit, I return to sender every arrow of marital confusion targeted at me in Jesus name.
- This nonsense must stop; evil reoccurrence of marital postponement be terminated in Jesus name.
- Lord, empower financially to conclude my marriage plans this year in Jesus name.
- Power of frustration and discouragement limiting my helpers, expire by fire in the name of Jesus.
- Father, I command every evil household altar raised against my marital breakthrough to catch fire in the mighty name of Jesus.
- You evil marital prospects scaring away my life partner, scatter now in the name of Jesus.
More by this Author
A sister who headed one of the departments in our church was suffering serious abdominal pains that refused all medications. The pains got to a peak while she was on suspension as a Head of Department. She did series of...
No comments yet.