New Wives: How to Make Your Father-in-Law Like You
Kissing the father-in-law's hands is a sure way for him to like the daughter-in -law
Being a New Bride is NOT EASY!
I know that us husbands couldn't stand the pressure they are under to just "fit in," with her husband and his family.
It's tougher than us men think.
That is why I "have a heart," for new brides and their plights to be accepted, loved, and thought of as "one of the family," by her husband's family.
I want to be fair
and that is why I am writing this story for newlywed-brides. I published a story not to long ago to help newlywed grooms be loved by their mother-in-law's.
This way no one will accuse me of playing favorites.
I love to get people prepared for what's ahead of them. And for me, that is easy since I have already experienced most of the things I write about myself.
First, newlywed-brides, here's what you can expect from your new father-in-;law:
- Cold-shoulder treatment because you came between his son and him.
- A halfway embrace and few words because he secretly resents you for ruining the plans he had made with his son for future fishing and hunting trips, camping outings and "that" very special event he had planned with his son: To climb Mt. Everest, but now these plans are messed-up simply because you came into the picture.
- Cigar or cigarette smoking (depending on the father-in-law)
- Heavy-drinking and telling tall tales about his single life (again, depending on the father-in-law)
Letting the father-in-law eat-up your delicious dessert is one sure way to make points with him.
Do these two girls remind you of you?
So now, newlywed brides, let's look at
Things You Can Do to Get Your Father-in-Law to Like You:
- Always slip him a hundred bucks. Men love money so much that he will keep his trap shut afraid that if he complains, the bucks stop. Literally.
- When no one is looking, wink at your father-in-law. It's harmless and at his age, he cannot do anything to you. Besides, you are doing him a favor making him at least feel like a man again.
- When he embraces you at holidays or at Sunday lunch, discretely nibble his earlobe. This is guaranteed to get him to take your side when you and his spoiled son have spats.
- Always wear a subtle, but sexy perfume when you and your hubby visit him and the wife. Be sure to sit by him every chance you get. But be careful. You do not want to make your son's mother jealous because she has not taken care of herself since you came into the family and stole her "little boy" away from her.
- Always give your new father-in-law loads of praise for the most minute things such as the last time you were in his home, he killed a cockroach that was running across the floor straight for your feet. A man longs to be thought of as a brave hunter so this will reinforce his bravado.
- In a discreet manner, ask your new father-in-law, "Does this skirt make my thighs look fat?" Just make sure that his wife or any daughters he might have, are not in the room.
- Brag on your husband and how you bet it was him, the father-in-law who taught him most of how to be a real man.
- Never miss a chance to ask him, "how to you stay in such good shape?" Oh, his ego will grow three times its original size.
- When a trip is needed to go to the liquor store, you volunteer and ask your new father-in-law to go with you to help select just the right whiskey for the drinks. You do some innocent-flirting with him by saying, "I am not that good at knowing my liquor brands," but he will never know that in college, you out-drank most of your male friends.
- If dancing is on the agenda at reunions or holiday parties, you always give your new father-in=law most of the dances--even cut-in when he is finally dancing with his wife.
So now, newlywed brides. You are empowered and enabled to go into battle, so to speak, and win that new father-in-law's love and respect.
Caution: Do not overdo any of these suggestions. You do not want to break-up your father-in-law's marriage because he will have to live with you and your husband. Just something to think about.
Attention All Newlywed Brides:
If you do not succeed the first time you use any or all of the suggestions in this story, do not give up.
You must be persistent if you really want your father-in-law to like you. Even if he confides in your husband that he is worried about the fact that you might have some mental issues, keep on keeping on.
And one day you will realize that you have won this battle of emotions and that your father-in-law really likes you because like clockwork every Saturday morning at 8 a.m., he drops by to take YOU to breakfast.
More by this Author
(Just) talking about meddlers and busy bodies is not enough. It is time I did something about them.
Just because a guy kisses a girl without her slapping him does not mean that he knows everything about the art of kissing to make girls happy.
At Christmas, how we open our gifts can say a lot about us.