Online Dating Advantages and Disadvantages
The Real Score of Internet Love
“Should I try online dating?” You might find yourself asking after seeing several online dating sites scattered on the internet. Just picturing yourself searching through literally millions of people in your computer for that special person that you’re going to spend the rest of your life with (or at least spend a few bites in the burger joint with) while in the comfort of your own home is truly tempting isn’t it? But before you went ahead to register on an online dating site, you might want to read the following online dating pros and cons to see whether this method of finding a romantic partner is for you.
1. Say Goodbye to Getting Tongue-Tied – If you’re timid or the type that gets tongue-tied whenever they see the person that they like, meeting someone online would definitely do you good. Since online dating doesn’t involve meeting someone physically, you’d be relaxed in interacting with other people. With this temperament, you have the chance to say what you really wanted to say rather than just blurt out whatever comes in your head in an attempt to keep a conversation.
2. Meet Like-Minded and Interesting People in a Snap – The world is populated with billions of people and meeting someone that fits your qualifications for a mate can be difficult. Due to this, people often attributes the occasion when they do meet someone that caught their eyes to fate. Online dating is like fate on steroids. With just a click of the mouse, you can browse through numerous profiles and filter those that tell the age, hobbies, interests, and social views that spark your interest.
3. Increase the Scope of Your Search – Remember the saying about how there are a lot of fishes in the ocean? Well, joining an online dating website increases the perimeter of “ocean” you’re searching. With online dating, you get to meet people that you won’t get to meet otherwise because they don’t go to the same office, belong to the same club, go to the same bar, or they simply live on the other side of the world.
1. The Case of Misrepresentations and Myspace Angles – It cannot be denied that a person’s looks play a major role in finding a mate. Because of this some people in online dating sites, although truthful in describing their interests and affiliations, puts other people’s pictures to represent themselves in their profiles in fear of rejection. Aside from this, there is also the case of the “myspace angle,” a method of taking a photo of oneself in such a way that one’s physical flaws are covered to the point of sometimes misrepresenting how one really looks like.
2. Risk of Running into Sex Offenders – The anonymity and the ease at which people can meet other people in online dating sites has made it a perfect target of sex offenders. Because of this it is important to know whether a particular dating site offers good protection against sex offenders before actually joining its community. In addition to this, you should also exercise precautions in physically meeting someone you’ve just gotten to know online like informing a friend of your meet-up, for instance.
3. Online Dating Can Be Addictive – Online dating is surely a fun and interesting way of meeting other people. Thus, it is not surprising that some people are addicted to it to the point that it is already detrimental to their social lives. Due to this, it is helpful to remember that online dating is just one way of meeting other people. If you spend most of your time in front of your computer, you might miss the chance of actually meeting someone personally.
Online dating gives people another option of meeting the love of their life. The answer to the question of whether to use it or not is entirely up to the person. Finding love can be tricky and if you think that, given the online dating pros and cons, you can really find that person you can call “the one,” then why not?
No comments yet.