Saying I Am Sorry
I Am Sorry
Saying “I am sorry” does not come easily for some of us. Everyone, at some point in our lives has said or done something that has caused our friends, spouse, child, sibling etc. to hurt. Sometimes we know right away that we have offended the person, or sometimes we are not aware and we only become aware when it is said or when a malice has developed. For me, whenever this happens, I am filled with remorse and I always try to right the wrong that my thoughtlessness caused.
Some persons realize their wrong and do nothing about it, hoping that with time the offended person will heal, so they maybe stay away for awhile. If you are guilty of this, you should know that ignoring the hurt you caused will only make things worse. The longer you take to apologize, the harder it will be to do and you will eventually destroy the relationship.
How can you tell someone you hurt or offend that you are sorry?
1. Recount the situation to make sure that you and the offended are on the same page. Your apology should be on the particular event that caused the offence, example, you forgot your significant other’s birthday. Don’t apologize for always forgetting, but instead for missing the recent one.
2. Acknowledge the hurt or damage done. You are telling the offended that you validate his or her feelings. This is important if you want to rebuild the relationship and regain that person’s trust .
3. Do not make excuses nor try to justify your actions. It is the other person’s feelings, so that is what you need to address.
4. Say “I am sorry” or “I apologize” and promise that it will not happen again.
5. If it is your spouse or lover, kiss and make up ( in whatever way you want!) For other persons - a hug, handshake or a pat on the back will suffice.
Although you will never be able to take back what was said or done, an apology has the power to soothe the hurt and pain caused. If this speaks to you, it is time for you to humble yourself and graciously say you are sorry when you offend others, especially someone who is close to you.
Are you Man or Woman enough to say it like you mean it? I AM SORRY!