Song Ideas for a Wedding Parent Dance, Father Daughter Dance or Mother Son Dance
The parent dance (or father daughter dance) is a classic wedding staple. Guests love to watch the bride dance with her dad and the groom dance with his mom.
These suggestions of songs can help you pick the perfect song for your wedding parent dance.
What is the Purpose of the Parent Dance at a Wedding?
The father daughter wedding dance or mother son wedding dance can be a great way to say thank you to your parents for supporting you all these years, helping you with the wedding, and being caring and supporting people. It's also a tradition, and one that your parent may really be looking forward to. Many of your wedding guests also expect to see it when they attend a wedding.
Slow Songs for a Father Daughter Dance
Slow songs work well for most dances. They're particularly suited for dances where one or both parties is not a skilled dancer, as they don't require a lot of coordination. Both parties can just sway side to side. They also work well with an older parent or a grandparent who has low mobility.
Try these songs for a slow parent dance:
- Have I Told You Lately (Rod Stewart or Van Morrison)
- In My Life (The Beatles)
- What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
- You Are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder)
- You Are So Beautiful to Me (Joe Cocker)
- Whenever I See Your Smiling Face(James Taylor)
- Teach Your Children (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
- Kind and Generous (Natalie Merchant)
- Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)
- Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton)
- Can You Feel the Love Tonight (Elton John)
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)
- Fly Me To The Moon (Frank Sinatra)
- How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You (James Taylor)
- Child of Mine (Carole King)
- Blessed (Elton John)
- Isn't She Lovely (Stevie Wonder)
- Forever Young (Rod Stewart)
- 100 Years (Five for Fighting)
- Here Comes the Sun (The Beatles)
- Hero (Mariah Carey)
- You've Got a Friend (James Taylor)
Fast Songs for a Father Daughter Dance or Mother Son Dance
Fast songs are fun and a little less formal. If you aren't very into tradition and want to shake things up, a fast song is a good way to do that. These fast songs are fun and will ensure that you, your parent, and your guests have a good time.
- I Can See Clearly Now (Johnny Nash or Jimmy Cliff)
- My Girl (The Temptations)
- Loves Me Like a Rock (Paul Simon)
- You Got A Hold On Me (Temptations)
- Sweat Pea (Amos Lee)
- We Are Family (Sister Sledge)
- Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Diana Ross)
- I'll Be There (Jackson 5)
Some brides are also concerned about the theme of parent ownership that runs through the wedding ceremony, where the parent "gives away" their child to someone else who assumes an ownership role. If you feel like the parent dance is another nod to that theme, picking a fast song allows you to be independent (you don't have to dance touching when you dance fast) yet give a parent those good memories.
Are you planning to have a parent dance at your wedding?See results without voting
More wedding ceremony planning ideas
- Alternative Wedding Ceremony Vows and Readings
Most wedding ceremonies are very traditional and feature the same Biblical readings and standard vows. While the old customs can be beautiful, for some couples, they simply are not original enough. Your wedding is one of the very few occasions in...
- DIY Ideas for a Super Cute Wedding on a Budget (imag...
It's going to be your Big Day, but you're on a shoe-string budget and it seems like things are just ho-hum. Here are some DIY ideas to spruce up your wedding, making it adorable, endearing and fun!
- 5 Minute Tips to Relieve Wedding Planning Stress
Wedding planning can be incredibly stressful for couples. These 5 minute tips can give you a little break from the stress.
- Sample Wedding Ceremony Welcome Ideas
The wedding ceremony welcome sets the tone for your ceremony and invites guests to come in, relax, and celebrate in community with you. While you might not hear the words of welcome (if they are said before you walk in), it's still important that you
More by this Author
Beachy hair waves are a fun summer style that's totally easy to create.
Don't get taken in by a fake Ralph Lauren polo. Use these tips to make sure it's the real deal.
Putting financial management program Quicken onto a portable drive allows you to bring it back and forth between work and home computers and to backup Quicken files. As an added bonus, you ensure the privacy of your...