Strengthening Friendships: Staying Friends Over Distance and Time
My best friends are friends that have I've had for many years, but surprisingly, we have not always been close. Why? Because at times we've been separated by distance.
My two best friends I lost touch with for a few years because they moved to other parts of the country; in fact, one moved to another country. However, we found the relationship again, and discovered good friends are always friends no matter what.
I also lost track of one friend because of time. We were both at the stage in life where we had young children. Between jobs and kids, there was little time to spend with friends.
If I had to do it over again, I would have made it a point to stay in touch with these good friends during the times distance separated us. Close friends are important in life because you can never have too many good friends. Here's a few suggestions to stay in touch:
- Email: With the development of the internet, this is easy. You can jot a line or two on your lunch hour and send it off quickly. Even forwarding appropriate email that has been sent to you is a way to stay in touch.
- Phone: It's always great to get a phone call from a friend from far away when you're not expecting one. Somehow hearing from an old friend you haven't seen in a long while can brighten up anyone's day.
- Letters and cards: Although this may take more time and effort, writing to someone and sending it off through snail mail shows you really still think about them once in a while. The most traditional time to send cards? Christmas!
- Photos: Share news about your family and what you're doing through pictures.
- Clubs: Stay connected by joining a club that both of you enjoy. You can even do this over the internet through a book club online.
Even if you lose touch for awhile, if you ar truly close friends, your friendship can be rekindled. Good friends remain close throughout life, even when there are a few curves in the road.
More by this Author
Children with asperger's syndrome experience difficulties associated with theory of mind, also known as mindblindness. The asperger child has difficluty making inferences as demonstrated through black-and-white...
One can learn a lot about life from fishing. Some of these life lessons include: be patient, small acts can affect people in big ways, there's an appropriate time for everything, and avoid over-exaggeration. Also, get...
Being a good neighbor helps develop a sense of community. A good neighbor helps others and is respectful, and good neighbors enrich our lives.