Strange Requests Made by Future Father-in-Laws
Son-in-law hears strange request from father-in-law
Remember "that" fearful day
when you had to face your future father-in-law and have a good talk with him before he gave you and his daughter his blessing to become man and wife?
Remember how scared you were to be face-to-face with such a strong, stately, and powerful man who held your future happiness in the palm of his hand?
You talked (while controlling your trembling voice) and then he talked and you, if you were smart, listened. You were so relieved when he asked only one question of you, "Will you provide for my little girl and your future children?"
What else could you say but, "Yes!"
Did you know that there are some father-in-laws who have made some rather strange requests of their future son-in-laws?
Here are just a few of their quirky requests
- Could I get you to come over on Saturdays and wash my car?
- When you and my little girl have dinner with us on Sunday nights, could you dress like Charlie Chaplin? He was my favorite comedian.
- I need you to let me come over on Friday nights and drink beer with you. No women. Just us guys and you buy the beer.
- When I wink at you when you visit our home, you do a wolf impression.
- I need you to trade shoes with me. It's an old Hungarian custom. I know I do not look Hungarian, but believe me. I am.
- I want to play William Tell. You be the one with the apple on his head, and I am playing the upgraded version with an M-16 and I will be blindfolded.
- Tell my wife when we eat later that you are allergic to meat.
Men: Do you get along with your father-in-law?See results without voting
Where do these quirky requests originate?
The father-in-laws who make these strange and eccentric requests definitely have had some type of traumatic experience in their early lives.
These father-in-laws are all afflicted with
- Control issues stemming from overly-strict parents.
- Low self-esteem making them to always want to be in control.
- Persecution complex and getting a frail son-in-law to honor such strange requests will validate them.
- The need to be respected and fear.
- They all were bullies at some point of their lives.
Here's how you can cope with your father-in-law's quirky requests
Just follow this list of tips and you should be free of doing these strange requests made of you by your father-in-law
- Say, "You are kidding, right?" Then frown. Your father-in-law will get the message that you are the boss.
- Pretend to get upset and threaten to leave.
- Stare intently in the father-in-law's eyes and do not speak a word.
- Stand, walk to your father-in-law and say, "I am a pro wrestler. You do not want to start anything with me."
- Laugh hysterically and change the subject. When his wife and daughter run to the den and ask what is going on, share his pathetic request with them and all three of you laugh at him. That should change him from doing these strange requests.
- Get loud and bellow, "No!" "I repeat," "No!" But do it so loudly that it scares your father-in-law.
"How does it feel to be 'the man'?"
Father and son-in-laws
More by this Author
All she did was score fame, fortune, and popularity with "Ode to Billy Joe," and what did it get her? Read this piece to find out.
(Just) talking about meddlers and busy bodies is not enough. It is time I did something about them.
Destination America, a channel on DirecTV, has a new show, Mountain Monsters. The show is about guys who investigate sightings of mysterious creatures reported by average citizens. This is my opinion.