TRUE FRIENDS WALK WITH YOU IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES
BEST FRIENDS FOREVER
How To Support A Friend Whose Parent Is Dying?
Life is full of challenges and every human being requires a friend to confide in. Being a social being, man seeks emotional support in facing the challenges. Finding a good friend means one has to work hard to be a good friend themselves. Offering emotional and mental support, encouraging and not degrading your friend under any circumstances. Being able to share just about every thought,good, bad and ugly makes a friendship special. The most important thing one can offer in a friendship is presence. Your presence in the face of disaster or worse scenario is appreciated much more than if you just attended the friend's birthday parties and showed up at all good events together. Being there for each other in times of need is important for any friendship to grow and last forever.
Every person on this planet desires to have a very special friend-one that they can count on-no matter what. Yes, it is possible to find friends who do not belong to the same economic status or educational background. It is heartening to note that they will go to any lengths to be there for each other during times of emotional upheavals, bereavement,etc, as also weddings and birthdays. Financial support may be offered in times of crisis.
How To Support A Friend Whose Parent Is Dying?
- I came across this question and thought of the times when I have been in a similar situation, and felt I could offer some hot tips if you want to call them that. Friends whose parent or spouse or child or sibling is dying, and what you can do to support in that situation is almost always the same. Depending on the proximity of the friend in need.
- If you live in the same city as your friend whose parent is dying, take the quickest route to your friend and the ailing parent.
- Pick up some fresh flowers or choicest fruits on the way there.
- If your friend has just heard the news and is far away from the parent in question, call immediately and offer to pick up your friend to see the ailing parent.
- If the friend needs to talk before or after seeing the parent, lend your ears and your shoulder if he/she breaks down and comfort them by gently patting the back or shoulder.
- Offer words of comfort and encourage them to sit down by the parent and hold hands, while you stand over your friend's shoulder resting your hand on it.
- If a time frame has been given by the doctors, it is normal for your friend to be anxious, but you do not add to it. Instead take your friend's mind off the parent by making sure he/she gets adequate rest and timely food.
- Offer to be with the patient while your friend can go home and sleep for awhile.
- If your friend needs monetary support at this time, and you are in a position to help, do not hesitate for your friend will remember you for this and some day you may require his/her help too.
- Pray with your friend and his/her dying parent. Sing a short chorus if you can. Often, if the parent has been a faithful Christian, a favorite hymn or chorus is sung and Psalm 23 is repeated. If you are too overcome, you can stick to the Lord's Prayer. Believe me, this works wonders if the dying relative is in the home or the ICU of a hospital. They respond positively and are more at peace-Genuine PEACE! Even if the patient is in a coma!
- If your friend has children that are small and need to be taken care of or picked up from school while they are with the dying parent, make sure that those children are your concern until necessary.
- In short, you offer unconditional support for your friend in this time of need. Your presence is of utmost importance.
- And several times, the friend may need proper advise as he/she is going through emotional upheavals. It is your duty to see that your friend stays in good shape and is ready to let go of the dying parent.
- It is your duty to use comforting words/ quote relevant verses out of the Bible to increase faith in the Living God, for both friend and parent and any other relative who might be around.
- If your friend happens to be in a different city and you cannot be there for him/her, call often to speak to your friend. He/she will be glad to hear your voice and will want to brief you on the dying parent.
- Be a good listener and then offer your support in terms of finances or /and speak words of comfort, pray with them on the phone often, share Biblical verses that will strengthen faith, and counsel your friend that they should surrender the dying parent to God Almighty.
- Last but not least, never ever blame your friend for not being a good son/daughter at his time, rather encourage them to pray for the ailing parent and praise them for taking such good care of the parent in times of need.
Every friend is different and it is upto you to choose how you want to offer your support depending on your circumstances, and how close you are to this particular friend. Parents dying of cancer can be much more in pain and the trauma of therapy can take its toll on your friend. Visit often and offer support of any kind, and be ready to drop what you are doing to be with your friend if he/she needs assistance in caring for the dying parent.
God Bless You And Your Friend! May God grant Peace to the departing soul!
Hubs You Will Find Interesting
- How To Find Old Friends And Keep Them
Human relationships are extremely necessary for us to remain happy in this business of living.One can have all the luxury and comfort that money can bring,but if we do not have anyone to share with or simply...
- Why Parents Need To Be Good Role Models For Their Growing Children
A good role model is one that 'walks the talk'. In other words they also 'practice what they preach'. This is particularly true with respect to parents, teachers and elders who are in the company of children....
More by this Author
I took this picture very early in the morning while the lady of the house was drawing this festive rangoli. The unfinished design shows earthern pots with rice being cooked and sugar canes, which are part of every...
The Indian culture is vibrant with several customs being followed along the length and breadth of India. Tonsuring or shaving the head is one such custom. And there are many beliefs to support this according to one's...
Asians and Indians in particular love the spicy dish called Biryani.It is mildly fragrant,a complete meal in itself,prepared with rice and chicken.Lamb may also be used instead of chicken.Festivals and marriages...