Two Weeks Of Text Messages for a Broken Hearted Friend
I’ve always found that I can get through almost anything as long as my teeth don’t hurt…or my feet. I guess that’s why hoof and mouth disease is so horrible. But while the above are annoying, nothing is worse than a bad relationship. I don’t care if it’s with a lover, a brother, a mother or a hairstylist. When your relationship is in trouble you not only feel awful you’re awful to be around. If you live close to a friend who is going through rough relationship times you can take them out and get them drunk, or take them out and get them sober but if you live in a different state you just don’t have those options. While you should never take any sides when a friend’s relationship is having problems (your luck the one time you take a stand and tell your friend they’re with a real shmuck, they’ll get back together with them and then you’re screwed) when a friend of mine was going through some relationship rockiness I devised a two week plan of daily texts for a broken hearted friend. Feel free to use these with your friends (changing the pronouns as needed). I guess I SHOULD have written for Hallmark after all! Disclaimer: I’m not a therapist I just play one on the Internet.
- I want you to make a list every day of the wonderful things about you. It’s too easy to turn in on yourself when something like this happens. I’ll start you off – you are smart, loving, intuitive and a wonderful friend…now you…
- Shakespeare – “To thine ownself be true, and it must follow as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.”
- From the musical “Wicked” – “Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better? But because I knew you I have been changed for good.”
- Whatever happens try to remember the good things the two of you have shared – doesn’t mean you have to go back just means you should celebrate what good came before and how it helped you discover what you want and need now
- Woody Allen – “To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to love. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you’re getting all of this down.”
- When you look in the eyes of someone you truly love and who loves you back, you should always see a reflection of yourself as an even better person than even you think you are or could be – you should never feel “less than” when you look in his eyes.
- Love isn’t just about sex all the time but sometimes it just is and those are some really good times
- Your self esteem shouldn’t be community property
- Know when to shut up and know when to scream
- Sometimes it’s cowardly to walk away but sometimes it’s even more cowardly to stay
- I have known you for years and you have never NOT been loveable
- Bad days can always be washed down with the memory of better days from your past and even better days waiting to happen to you
- Sometimes even though love seems right on paper, you need what can’t be written down – chemical attraction
- Everyone makes good and bad choices. Buying something for yourself? Good choice. Making yourself miserable? Bad choice.
Who’s to say what will really help when either you or a pal is going through relationship drama but one thing that I believe these texts did for him is that it let him know that he was not alone, that someone was thinking about him and that he was loved and though we all should know this on our own, sometimes, just sometimes we need a little help from our friends to see our own greatness.
Read More Scott @ www.somelikeitscott.com
More by this Author
I know this will shock many of you (as it has shocked me) that for years (yes, years) I have not received an International Male catalog. I almost thought they must be out of business. For those six people who are...
Here I thought that there would be certain phrases that we would never have to hear again. You know, like "Cowabunga" from when the Simpsons first came out or "What's uaaaaaaaaaaap?" from that...