What I Love About My Husband
I thought I would do a little get-to-know-me hub. This is about how I met my husband, and why I love him more than anything on this Earth.
If I interest you at all, then make sure to follow me and my hubs! I write about the things I'm passionate about and I think my passions are (usually) pretty interesting.
I Used To Hate Him!
We met 14 years ago - here's the whole story.
We were young, and we both worked at a hospital. One day, I was on my break, sitting in a chair and reading, and he came up to me and started talking. It was weird. I had never met him before, although I had seen him a few times. He told me he was in a band, and I wasn't impressed. When my break was over, I said goodbye and we didn't talk again. It wasn't that I didn't like him, he just wasn't interesting enough for me to incorporate him into my mind.
About a year later I was applying for a job (patient porter), and I ended up losing to the job to some jerk who played in the sub-basement all shift long - who happened to be the same guy that randomly talked to me a year earlier. I still didn't even know his name. We were both working evenings at that time, and I remember passing him in the hall and giving him a dirty look. hacky sack
My best friend happened to work as a porter as well, and Saverio (it took me a long time to learn his name) started to work on the weekends with her. By the way - that's why I had wanted the job. I wanted to work with her.
In any case, they became pretty good work friends, and I still hated him. He was annoying. He stuttered when he talked to me to me. And he seemed cocky, even though he didn't say anything most of the times.
I started dating an ex boyfriend, and for the next 8 months I was immersed in a bad relationship. Saverio and my friend starting hanging out outside of work, so I saw him more, but I was very into my relationship and didn't pay much attention to him.
Then I broke up with this guy, and decided I would accept no more losers into my life. I made a list of what the perfect guy would be for me and it looked like this:
- Plays an instrument
- Has a good family
- Makes money
- Doesn't do drugs
- Doesn't lie
- Loves animals (I had an 8 month puppy at the time)
- Has a good sense of humor
Time went on, and Saverio started to become a bigger part of my personal life. Suddenly I noticed Saverio as more than just that jerk that my friend hung out with. I realized he had all the qualities on my list. Naturally, I started to like him.
I told my friend to tell him that I liked him (hey, I was younger), and she did. And he replied "Yeah, I know." That response led to another half a year of me thinking he was a jerk and barely talking to him. However, I did listen to him whine about his girlfriends and girl problems.
Then one day, we were hanging out at my friends house, and he noticed my dog had gotten through the gate and was running like a madman towards the road. He helped me get my track-worthy dog back while my friend and her husband could have cared less, and again - I started to like him. If it hadn't been for him, I would have never noticed my dog escape, and I likely would have never found him.
He became attentive to my needs, and I noticed that fact. I sat beside him when we had fires in the backyard and melted at his voice while he sang and played guitar.
We drove in the same car on road trips and he brought his big doberman and I brought my little Min. Pin. He lived a few blocks away from me, so it was convenient for us to ride together. ;)
One evening he showed up to my work and asked if I wanted to go to supper. He acted like he had been there visiting someone and was surprised to see me. (Later on I learned that he had planned that whole accidental meetup and had waited for me to walk my usual path on break.)
Then one night in my friends backyard, while we were both drunk, I sat on his lap and we held hands by the fire. We weren't even aware we were doing it until my friend said "What's up with this?!" I went to sleep because I was obviously too drunk, and he slept in the same tent that I was staying in. He didn't touch me (my Miniature Pinshcer was on guard because a stranger was in the bed with us). The next morning, we talked about how we would never work out as a couple.
Not long after that, we were dating.
We've been together ever since. There have been things that have tried to affect our relationship negatively. Including:
- His mother hates that I'm not Italian. He WAS supposed to marry an Italian girl, not a Ukrainian. Especially a vegetarian Ukrainian.
- His best friend hated me for no apparent reason (although I still think he was gay and was jealous)
- My friend was obviously attracted to him and did everything she could to make me look bad in his eyes. In fact, this is likely why it took us so long to get together - she was the best friend that worked with him.
- His sister has said pretty much 10 words to me in the whole time I've known him.
But our love has been one of those pure, happy loves that just can't be broken. I know, I sound so cheesy, but it's true.
In The Spotlight
What I Love About My Husband: 15 Top Things
So, why do I love my husband?
- Well, first and foremost, because I was 'friends' with him for years before I started to date him, and I've seen him at many different angles. I can honestly say that I know he is a good guy. He means no harm to anyone.
- Because we have the same beliefs. It's crazy how aligned we are with our beliefs. We feel the same about religion, kids, and other important issues. I've watched many couples go through difficult times with a partner that isn't on the same page, and I'm so glad that we are. We can share our thoughts with each other without fearing judgement or scrutiny.
- He tries so hard to be please me. He always takes my thoughts and emotions into consideration. He does everything in his power to make me happy, and I appreciate that kind of attention.
- He is amazing with our dogs. In fact, he is amazing with all animals. Even bugs are carried out like royalty by him and set free, instead of squished and thrown in the garbage.
- He always takes the higher road at work. Now, he's an accountant, and he works with some miserable bastards. But he always takes the higher road with them and doesn't stoop down to their level. It amazes me at his ability to treat others with respect even though they are blatantly rude to him.
- He's aware of the world around him and he understands how his actions affect others. He would never do something to hurt someone else just because it gave him something he wanted. To me, that's a huge sign of not just a good guy, but a great human being.
- He's open and honest with me. We have never had a trust issue because we are both so open and honest with each other. We are comfortable to say what is on our minds, without taking offense, and I have no one else that I can do that with. Nor have I ever had anyone like that in my life.
- He lets me be me. When I decided that working crappy jobs was not my thing, but writing online and make zero dollars was, he supported that decision. He wants me to be true to myself instead of conforming to what other people want me to be or do, and he allows me to do that each day.
- He believes in me. He doesn't just encourage me (although he does that to) but he also has complete faith in me. I can feel that in every word he says to me and every look he gives me. It is amazing to have someone who has complete faith in you with no doubts or concerns.
- He can cook. This is a huge benefit to having an Italian husband. He knows ! Before him I ate cheese, nachos, and salsa every night. Now I have a taste for many spicy foods and well seasoned pasta dishes. The downside is I weigh 25 pounds more than when we first started dating, but hey, the food is good! how to cook
- He can speak Italian. Have you ever noticed how much sexier everything sounds in Italian?
- I can't mention this one without putting adult warnings all over the place.
- His energy. I have never seen him sit on the couch and not be able to move. He is always willing to get up and do something, and even though I know I'm not like that - I sure admire it in him.
- His sense of humor. It's funny because when I didn't like him, I didn't laugh at his jokes. Probably to prove a point to him about how much I didn't like him. He took great offense to this. I was the first girl who didn't laugh at his jokes. But now, he makes me laugh every single day. There is nothing better than a man who can make you feel good.
- His patience. Lord knows he has needed patience with me. I'm moody, and I can't help it. But he has never once snapped at me during my moodiness or a rant. When I stomp my feet, he laughs. When I scream my head off, he leaves the room. When I cry like a baby, he waits for me to feel better. He is probably the most patient man in the world, and he's mine.
More by this Author
Emotional intimacy is just as important as physical intimacy. While it tends to be more important for women to feel connected on an emotional level, men enjoy the connection too.
Want to know how to attract women? Before you hear some good advice, you need to hear some bad advice so you know exactly what to avoid doing around women.
Want your love dream interpreted? Fill in your dream details in the comments. Love dreams can tell us what's happened, what's happening, and what is going to happen. You can interpret your dreams.