Alphadogg16 profile image 87

How do you help someone learn how to allow themselves to open up to their significant other?

I was recently asked to help someone learn to open themselves up, as their significant other was unhappy due to lack of communication/emotion in the relationship. I personally think it would happen naturally if you truly love someone, you would have no problem feeling vulnerable to them. I was thinking maybe there are some unresolved past issues or maybe it's not real love. Anyone have experience/an idea of teaching this?

Dr Billy Kidd profile image90

Dr Billy Kidd says

• ivori profile image

Barbara Eisenberg (ivori) 2 years ago

Absolutely, Dr Kidd. If we accept and believe in ourselves, opening up to others becomes easier. Trust yourself first.

ivori profile image57

Barbara Eisenberg (ivori) says

• Dr Billy Kidd profile image

Dr Billy Kidd 2 years ago

ivory, I like the idea of triggering defense mechanisms. This can in turn trigger the avoidance system, causing one to mentally and physically to avoid their partner.

kcsunny1 profile image60

Tara G (kcsunny1) says