Dating Problems? Troubled Relationships? Avoid Making the Most Common Dating, Love and Relationship Mistakes
If you’re making the most common dating, relationship and love mistakes, your relationship may be doomed to fail. Sadly, stupid mistakes are the most common source of dating problems. They can also lead to troubled relationships.
We’ve all been bombarded with so much misinformation — from fairy tales and other bedtime stories we’ve been told as children to movies and television shows we’ve seen as we were growing up. It’s hardly surprising that we’re confused about what is required to avoid dating problems and have a great relationship. Since most people don’t know what to do about them, most relationships are doomed to fail!
Most of the things we think we “know” about relationships are totally wrong — they're based on myths and they can lead us to the wrong partners. What’s even worse is that this faulty thinking can make us walk away from a potentially great relationship with the right partner.
Many relationships don’t work because decisions we make and expectations we have about them are often based on the following faulty thinking or myths:
- It was love at first sight when you met each other. — You probably had lust at first sight when you met, but instant chemistry doesn’t necessarily mean you’re with the right person. It takes time to really get to know someone.
- Love conquers all. — No matter how much you love each other, you still may not be able to resolve conflicts and overcome serious problems. It takes good relationship skills and a lot of hard work to resolve conflicts and problems.
- If your partner loves you, (s)he should know what you want or need. — Your partner can not read or guess what’s on your mind.
- In an ideal relationship, your partner should fulfill you in every way. — We all have the realities of our lives to deal with. Stress, hurt feelings, disappointments, frustrations, illnesses, responsibilities and obligations can keep most people from being fulfilled at some point in a relationship.
There are so many other common assumptions about relationships that end up causing dating problems or relationship issues, especially for new couples.
Most people think that great relationships are “found” instead of nurtured; so, they go from one relationship to another trying to “find the right one" — they’re always hoping that something will eventually “click”. Unfortunately, this faulty thinking leads to a lot of heartaches, disappointments and unhappiness for most people.
Learning from couples with satisfying relationships could be helpful in correcting your faulty thinking, but most people do not have “role models” for great relationships. And appearances can be deceiving; for example, some couples that appear to have lasting and satisfying relationships are actually just staying together in spite of being miserable.
Does this mean that it’s not possible to have a great relationship? No, it doesn’t mean that at all. It just means that the odds are against many relationships from lasting and being satisfying; so, the only way to have a great relationship is to find a way to learn the necessary relationship-building skills to make it happen and to nurture it.
How can you avoid making the most common love, dating and relationship mistakes?
- By taking the time to get to know your partner, you won't end up trying to build a relationship with someone who is totally wrong for you and your values.
- By developing effective communication and listening skills, you can understand your partner's needs as well as express your own needs more effectively. By learning these crucial relationship skills, you can increase your chances of having your partner's and your own needs met. Both of you can, hopefully, feel heard and understood by the other.
By developing more effective relationship skills instead of making assumptions about your partner, you can avoid or resolve dating problems. By loving smarter, you can avoid or get out of troubled relationships. Instead of getting stuck in an unsatisfying dating patterns, you can build a deeper and more meaningful relationship with someone special.
Having Great Chemistry Does Not Mean That You Can Avoid Dating Problems Which Can Lead to Troubled Relationships
Getting Over a Break-Up & Healing Your Broken Heart
More by this Author
By understanding the main causes of stress in your life, you can make some changes that can help you avoid its harmful health effects.
Does a true soulmate love match exist? If you do meet your soulmate, what are the signs that you've found "the one?"
- 10Happiness Psychology and Biology: Happiness Research Shows What Happens to the Brain When We Are Happy
By applying happiness research findings, more people can enjoy greater life satisfaction. Finding happiness is more than just about feeling good or having positive emotions for the sake of pleasure. Happiness and other...