jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

If everybody is lying to you

1. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

How can anybody  find trust?
    From our so-called 'great' leaders, commercials, and people who tell us what we want to hear - where can a person swimming is a sea of falsehood ever find 'the truth'. Doesn't this ocean of BS trickle down to individual relationships?

I guess that's why some folks turn to 'god' - trusting their own inner voice. But what if the voices in my head are also lying?  Insane am I?

1. grand old lady profile image88
      grand old ladyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like the way you articulated this:). Everybody lies -- church leaders, the pope, imams and me. We all lie. What is important is, making the distinction between the habitual liar and the one who only lies occasionally. Look for patterns in behavior to size up character. Not just what they say, but what they do. Then you will know more or less who you can trust.

I think we all have to also arrive at the point where we can learn to trust ourselves and the choices we make.

1. ptosis profile image79
        ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, but what if you are a politician and your lies quantum entangle with the opposing politican's lies thus creating a more than 100%  lying state? Stalin said that he doesn't even trust himself.

http://boscoredmondworld.blogspot.com/2 … ation.html

I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You) - John Mayer

1. grand old lady profile image88
          grand old ladyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love John Meyer!

They say between two sides of a story, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. But when the two sides say the exact opposite of each other, one is lying.

Re politics and the tops and electrons or whatever, Maybe  we can't use that as a parallel in politics. Best bet is to check the facts, check the track record of each politician, know what you want America to be in the next four years and decide who will more likely make it happen between the two.

Re John Mayer, he is totally telling the truth. But impulse is different from love. Also, he can't trust himself maybe because he knows he can't be trusted. His track record for love is not exactly good and actually, I think Taylor Swift's song aced him. But oh, no one can make better more romantic and totally beautiful music than Meyer. Maybe because he puts his whole life experience and emotions into what he writes. I could go on and on about how great his music is, let's just stop here...

2. Chad Thiele profile image83
      Chad Thieleposted 4 years ago in reply to this

First of all, we need to define a lie. Given the amount of regulation involved, I wouldn't say that commercials are lying to you (unless you are looking at political ads... as far as I know, they aren't regulated.) Commercials are showing a lifestyle that is aspirational. You might not be able to achieve it, but I don't think that is a lie. However, I'm a marketer, so I am biased.

However, I agree that all individual people lie, or at least twist the truth. As grand old lady points out, you learn to trust people more based on their actions, not what they say.

Finally, I think that we all have thoughts that go through our head that we don't believe. I wouldn't say they are lies, just thoughts. (If you believe that we are all natural mind readers, then that could explain it.) The key is to know the difference between a thought and a belief. If the thought goes against what you believe, you are going to discount it. So, no, just because you have thoughts that you don't believe, doesn't make you crazy.

On the other hand, if you believe that your inner voice is God, and that you actually talk to God, then you might be technically crazy. At least, in my opinion.

In the end, trust people based on their actions, and only act on what you truly believe to be correct.