jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Should one retain the friendship after marriage?

1. dghbrh profile image64
    dghbrhposted 4 years ago

Or one should try to develop new common friends? For me I have my own friends from my childhood. Its very difficult to be friendly with new people for me as I cant open up easily. I know people who have the same confusion.

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If there are children involved you must remain friendly. No children then you should avoid socializing with the same couples as you did together. It will eliminate a lot of problems.
      Leaving  a marriage is like giving up an addiction,you need to create a new environment where the addiction will not surface.
      Believe me I struck out three times.

dghbrhposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. Its much meaningful advice.

2. 0
    Janhornerposted 4 years ago

I think we are all indivuals with a right to keep whatever is prescious to us, and that includes friends from time gone by!  A true friend will be a friend forever even after marriage.   

I also feel it is important to keep some part of your single life with you, simply because it is part of your past.    Sometimes partners will not always like your friends and in that case it would be a lesson of give and take.   Most of the time I see my friends on my own but I don't go out as much as I use to anymore. 

I would not give up my friends after marriage and I think in a lot of cases once you are married with a family friends become special occasion meet ups; weddings, christenings and birthdays not forgetting the  Christmas card.  I feel this is pretty much the way things go.

dghbrhposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are quite rite here.....one should try to retain some part of past with us to be grounded i think. Thanks Jan.