GLBT Cinema. A movie question

1. brimancandy profile image82
    brimancandyposted 3 years ago

I recently saw the movie "The Boys In The Band." which was made back in the 1970's. (I think) I had heard it was a good movie, but I didn't really care for it. It started out fun, but it just turned into what I had feared it would. A drug induced, drunken hate fest. The acting was pretty good, but it was filled with stereotype on top of stereotype. So, this had me thinking of what other gay themed movies there were back then, and I wonder if Hollywood treated gays any better then.

The only movie I can think of from around that time is "Making Love" with Harry Hamlin and Kate Jackson, where Kate Jackson's husband is a closeted homosexual who falls in love with Hamlin. I think the actors name was Michael Ontekan. (If I spelled that right) Anyways that was a very good movie.
    And, it lead to a lot of made for TV movies like "Consenting Adult." And, "Doing Time On Maple Drive." Where the actors were portrayed as being gay, but it was all in dialog, and there was no kissing or love scenes like there is in today's GLBT cinema.

So, does anyone know of any older GLBT films? I will have to look up the production dates on some  of the ones I mentioned. But, I know for a fact that the TV shows were early 80's at best. In fact I read Conscenting Adult, the book, when I was 15. So, maybe around 1980-81. The TV version starred Martin Sheen and Marlo Thomas.

Let me know. I would like to see some of the older films. I think I have seen the rest. Oh, and I have seen the original Birdcage, (La cage Au Fa?) So, don't need to see that one. I'm also not looking for camp. Just serious gay drama.

2. bobbyandbeans profile image58
    bobbyandbeansposted 3 years ago

You'd probably get more help with this question if you went to IMDB and posted it on their forums.  They're all movie/TV buffs over there so I'm sure a user or two would have some suggestions.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

In 1970 have a movie about gay lives was in itself a breakthrough.  I think you have to view the movie in that context. If course it is stereotyped and Uncle Tomish in the modern context.

Overtly gay cinema has a short history.  My suggestions are both fairly recent, they would be Velvet Goldmine (1998) and Total Eclipse (1995).