jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

"Don't marry them coloreds, that's immoral!"

1. A Thousand Words profile image79
    A Thousand Wordsposted 3 years ago

I have been in many a forum where interracial dating/marriage is discussed and have heard more people than is comforting making an "argument" for why someone whould not date outside of their own race. What do you think, Hubbers? I personally think that's ridiculous, and I've yet to hear a convincing argument for such an opinion.

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

People are people, it shouldn't matter what color your skin is.  Wouldn't it be a better world if we could change the thought process of some people? People are scared of the unknown and if they don't know something about a different culture they are apt to be more disrespectful of that culture.  It's a sad world we are in.

1. A Thousand Words profile image79
        A Thousand Wordsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'd say that as we become more educated about other people, their beliefs/worlviews, etc, we become more progressive in our thinking. But it's mainly the people who are less educated and/or are only constantly surrounded by people who see the world the way that they do who have opinons like these. But not always. I've heard some religious debates against it.

2. aware profile image70
    awareposted 3 years ago

its a human race. date inside that race.

3. brimancandy profile image84
    brimancandyposted 3 years ago

The question sounds very 1960's. Back then it was considered not good for a white woman to marry a black man, but, a black woman marrying a white dude seemed to be acceptable. But inter-racial marriage is more common now, and has actually been so since around the 1980's. As they say, gay marriage is the new black, when it comes to discrimination.

I grew up in a mostly white neighborhood, and most people moved out as the black neighbors moved in. I had a couple of girlfriends who said, I so hate them people! Why do they have to come to our part of town. And guess what, just after graduating high school both of them married a black man. Not only that, but their friends who spouted the same garbage as teens, also married black men. As far as I know, they are all still married some 20 years later. Can't say the same for my white couple friends.

Things change, and people change. All you have to do is let them, and they will. It's sad that there are still people out there that want to go back to the way things were in the 1950's. But, their numbers are so small, eventually they will fade away, and we can all go on living.

On a side note, I kind of dated a black girl when I was in grade school, but darn if I can remember her name. But, I really liked her. I just remembered, her name was Rhonda.