The Vatican Promoclamation(Ad Infinitum) On The Issue Of Homosexuality

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Pope Benedict steadfastly maintained that gay marriage is an "assault" on family values and  denigrates the "true" purpose of marriage which is to be between male and female with the purpose of creating families.    The pope further assert that gay marriage is "destroying" family values.    Let think about this for one moment and discuss this.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thought about it.
      Nothing else to think about it.
      The Pope is correct in this instance.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

BS. Shows like The Bachelor have done more of that than gay marriage ever will.

1. profile image0

I disagree.
          Both types of sin may be sin,  and while I'm not condoning the perversity that often goes on on shows like The Bachelor or other similar shows (I'm assuming you mean the pretend purity covering sexual activities??)...........  one type of sin is definitely unnatural and harder to extricate oneself from,  by most accounts.     And that is the saddest part of it------if people keep telling someone that they have no sin, or that it's no worse than any other sin (even if it isn't any worse!) then no one will be able to find a way out of that sin.

1. JMcFarland profile image69
            JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

problem.  Being gay is not unnatural, since the definition of natural is "within nature" and homosexual behaviors - even monogamous homosexual relationships are prevalent in nature.  Sorry.

1. profile image0

Do I have to add "human" to that in order for you to understand the difference?

Okay.
              ...one type of sin is definitely unnatural in humans......."

Please remember that humans are different from animals.

1. JMcFarland profile image69
                JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not really.  human beings are animals.  They are mammals.  And its clearly not unnatural to human beings either, despite what your religion teaches you to the contrary

2. jlpark profile image79
                jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are different to animals only in that we have the capability to think, and to hate.

Descartes speaks of humans having a mind, and animals not.  If you are a person of God, and believe that God created each and everyone of us - animal and human - then those animals who display homosexual characteristics (such as a pair of life mated male pengiuns- who now have an adopted chick), those characteristics were instrinicly given by God.
                Just like mine, and just like yours - just ours differ is all.
                If you are of the mind that God created one and all - you cannot say he did not create Gays, when they are prevelent in ALL that is around us.

ANyway - I know my God loves me just the way I am, as long as I treat people with respect, and as I wish to be treated.

3. profile image0
                jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So you "believe," Brenda.   Just come down to earth.   Come down off your pedestal, and face the real world.  There is no "god" up there.   You are living in fairy land, or maybe on "cloud 9."

We are animal, through and through.  The only difference is that we have brains with which to drum up all manner of fanciful ideas in order to support our desire for control of others.   This is at the base of your christianity.   It is not "love," although that is also part of your fantasy, helping you to feel better about yourself.

The brain can also lead us into good, sensible, caring roles, when we use our intelligence.

When you are dead, you are dead.   There is nothing for you beyond that.   With this fact, you can stop worrying about it.   Just get on with the life you have now, live it to the full, but allow others to do the same.   Butt out of the interference.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 !

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And now I've finally collected the concrete evidence I need to prove that you're a terrible human being!

1. profile image0

Indeed?
          You say that like it's a true thang.
          Well.
          It don't take much to please you, does it?  lol

2. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

The world is suffering under the weight of over-population - why else do we have famines, poverty, drought etc. (I can hear the "drought???" - lack of trees, due to over-population, nothing converting CO/CO2 back into water/oxygen etc...no rain). Yet, we still drone on about "marriage is for procreation".

What does he suggest about infertile CATHOLIC couples? Are they destroying family values because they cannot have one? Or those who wish to wait until later - but I'm sure are still having sex (within marriage even), without procreation.

How does my marriage to my wife affect anything in the world? I'm not telling you how to raise your children, or what values to teach them.  In fact, I'm sure we will teach our children the same values - respect your elders, respect one another, etc. I'm also not stopping you from procreating, NOR is my sexuality going to stop me - I just need a little hand with it!.

The sky will not fall, the world will not end, nor will anyone's straight marriage. What will it do in the grand scheme of things, for anyone who isn't gay? NOTHING!

I still find it disturbing that millions of Catholics are appalled at the holocaust, but are willing to over look the fact that your Pope is an ex-Nazi youth.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some people prefer to live in an illusion.   They view religion as some sort of afterlife insurance and a security blanket.   Even though many people do not actually believe in the tenets of their respective religion because it is somewhat atavistic, they want to proclaim that they are that religion for reasons of familial/social/societal approval and to have something to hold unto.     You are so right, jlpark.

2. profile image0

Eh...if you're talkin' to me,  please note that he is not my Pope.    I'm not Catholic, and will never be (unless perhaps a miracle occurs and the Catholic Church gets reformed).........but I will say that I know there are some Christians in the Catholic Church and perhaps many,  and that the Pope in this instance stood up for what's right, unlike some modern churches have begun doing.   The Devil is leading many people into an erroneous tolerance and public approval for this blatant sin.
      I'm among the first one to condemn what's outright wrong, whether it be in the Catholic Church or a Protestant Church.   I don't get personally insulted when someone points out an abominable action in a Protestant Church.    Most Catholics do seem to take criticism personally, however, when anyone criticizes the Catholic Church.   I pray that they become curious themselves about those things and will seek out the truth for themselves,  just as I pray that any Christian will keep an eye out as to what Protestant Churches and any other churches are teaching.    I trust no man fully;  only God.

And I dunno exactly what you meant by "ex-Nazi youth"........
      I think he's of German descent?
      So?

1. jlpark profile image79
        jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is well known that Pope Benedict when he was merely Mr Ratzinger was a member of the Youth section of the Nazi's - helping to commit the atrocities of the Holocaust - not quite a "Nazi" as we know them, but more like a 'training role' for the same. Just because he isn't now (no one is now, granted) changes nothing.
        Nope, not talking to you personally - Catholics in general.

Brenda - a question - exactly how does my life affect yours? Or the Pope's? My marriage to my SS partner doesn't change yours, nor does it make yours any less.  In fact, it strengthens it - it makes your marriage about LOVE, not gender. A marriage without love is tragic, sad and tragic.

But, do know I won't be back. I get sick of the same old arguements - I can't change who I am, all I can change is the rights we are entitled to through fighting for equal rights,  I cannot change you, NOR would I want to - I think difference is what makes life interesting.  I'm just tired of hearing the same old hypocrisy.  I have NO problem with Religion, nor do I have an issue with you.  I know who I am, and who God made me.  And that is all I need.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 11 years ago

As far as Pope Benedict "helping to commit the atrocities of the Holocaust"..............well, maybe he did.   But according to Wikipedia,  he was a kid who didn't have any say in the matter.
    And jlpark said "just because he isn't now, changes nothing."...........

Well, people know I'm not Catholic,  and I believe the Catholic Church is in great error on many things,    but I will say this about being a Christian, period, whether one is Catholic or Baptist or whatever----------YES it does change something!    That's what giving one's life to Christ is about, really-----we become "a new creature" in Christ;  old things are passed away and we begin a new life as a forgiven child of God.     And even if one doesn't consider Benedict as having become born again (if we just think of him as simply the young person that he was under German tyranny),  he shouldn't be held accountable for what he was legally required to do when he was young.

Here is what Wikidpedia says about his youthful days--------

"Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth—as membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939[21]—but was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings, according to his brother.[22] In 1941, one of Ratzinger's cousins, a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was taken away by the Nazi regime and murdered during the Action T4 campaign of Nazi eugenics.[23] In 1943, while still in seminary, he was drafted into the German anti-aircraft corps as Luftwaffenhelfer (air force child soldier).[22] Ratzinger then trained in the German infantry.[24] As the Allied front drew closer to his post in 1945, he deserted back to his family's home in Traunstein after his unit had ceased to exist, just as American troops established their headquarters in the Ratzinger household.[25] As a German soldier, he was put in a POW camp but was released a few months later at the end of the war in May 1945.[25] He reentered the seminary, along with his brother Georg, in November.

Thus, following repatriation in 1945, the two brothers entered Saint Michael Seminary in Traunstein, later studying at the Ducal Georgianum (Herzogliches Georgianum) of the Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich. They were both ordained in Freising on 29 June 1951 by Cardinal Michael von Faulhaber of Munich. Ratzinger recalled:

...at the moment the elderly Archbishop laid his hands on me, a little bird – perhaps a lark – flew up from the altar in the high cathedral and trilled a little joyful song.[26]"

People often accuse religious people of being judgemental and unforgiving,  when in fact it is the opposite most of the time;  Christianity is about repentance and forgiveness.
    It is more often, from what I've seen and heard, that unbelievers hold onto unforgiveness,  and wrap it in vengeance as well.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

People being gay does not effect your life in any way must as you being a Christian does not effect their life unless you deny them rights. You are free to live by whatever rules you feel are right for you...nobody else.

5. Astra Nomik profile image65
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

H'mm... Well, I have thought about it and there is nothing to say to this whatsoever. I wish the Pope a long and happy life.

6. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Funny how a Pope of a Church committing centuries of atrocities of adult men against boys and girls has the (balls?) to condemn homosexual practice. It is the corrupt, pedophile priesthood, priests in covert heterosexual relationships whilst promoting (sick) forced celibacy that threatens my marriage (and the Church), not a gay couple who have been in a committed loving relationship for decades. Apparently he has not taken to heart Jesus' message on love, forgiveness and not judging others. The Papacy's credibility is nil when it comes to sexual moral statements.

7. lmpounds profile image61
    lmpoundsposted 11 years ago

I actually couldn't care less what the Pope thinks about my sexuality.  Or any other religious leader for that matter.  I do consider myself Christian and Lesbian.  I am grateful for my ability to live by my own beliefs, yet equally grateful that you can live by yours.  We hear the same arguments over and over again.  It is quite redundant.  Truth of the matter is, if your Church does not accept my right to get Married, I won't get married there.  That should have no baring on what happens in my State.  If my Church recognizes same sex marriage; then if I were to marry, wouldn't I be married "under God"?  Religious Law is not the Law of this land, so tell me again why I am being forced to live by the religious beliefs of others?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)