jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

I see more and more same sex couples as married on Facebook

1. Astra Nomik profile image75
    Astra Nomikposted 3 years ago

I have been seeing more and more same sex couples (women) listing themselves as being married on Facebook. Perhaps it has always been there and I have just discovered it. Is it a new thing? A new or growing trend? Is it becoming more the norm now for lesbian or gay couples to marry on Facebook? Is there more acceptability of this phenomenon?

2. jlpark profile image92
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

It's there because Facebook is international - many countries have legal same sex marriage.
    I have a same sex partner, and I have listed myself as married to her on Facebook as FB doesn't have an option for civil union and we are getting it changed this year when the paperwork for New Zealand's marriage equality have gone through.

Facebook supports marriage equality so they have had it for some time. I hope that helps?

3. Astra Nomik profile image75
    Astra Nomikposted 3 years ago

Yes I understand what you mean. I am also married to my sweetheart on Facebook. Thank you for the reply. I am seeing more of it around Facebook. It's a nice feature and personally I appreciate it.

1. Shailesh Manmode profile image60
      Shailesh Manmodeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In our country we limit facebook from our social customs and regardless of its reach and popularity amongst masses we prefer arranged marriages in our society. We came across some experinces of FB Marriages but eventual they turned out to nothing.

4. moncrieff profile image80
    moncrieffposted 3 years ago

As I see it, in a lot of cases, it actually has nothing to do with being gay: check the age group of these people. A lot of teenagers post they're "married" to each other (same sex) on FB, meaning they are just BFFs. I saw it many times, as they grow older, or if their friendships cools off, they change their FB statuses.

I'm sure though that a lot of real same-sex couples also announce their marital status on FB.