jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How do you know when your in the friend zone?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago

Okay folks.  I'm bored again, and I'm having a bit of writer's block at the moment, so amuse me with your answers on this thread, and I'll gladly read it. 

Thanks for your time gang.  Peace out.

1. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've never been in the "friend zone" unless that's what I wanted.
      Having said that a real clue that you're in the "friend zone" is when the object of your affections (asks you) for dating advice or how to impress someone else they actually have the "hots" for.

Any date that ends with someone telling you (they want to take things slow) or they don't believe in kissing on the first date... They're really saying; "I don't think you're all that hot" If they did they would make it known they're romantically interested in you because there is no such thing as being "exclusive platonic friends". No one wants to risk leaving "the one" on the open market  for too long. When someone is "into you" they'll make exceptions to all their rules!

The best way to avoid the "friend zone" is to make your intentions known (early on) that you are attracted to them. Fear of rejection leads to wasting time hoping for the "right moment".  The more time that passes the more difficult it is to try and turn things around. In the long run you're better off getting rejected quickly for directly asking someone out on a date, flirting, using sexual innuendo, or leaning in for good-night kiss rather than playing the friend game with the hopes of it evolving into romance.

Naturally there are "exceptions" where people will tell you they started out as friends before they became a couple. That's NOT how the vast majority of relationships begin! Someone's going to win the lottery too but it probably won't be you! Don't live for the "exceptions" in life.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

Make a subtle romantic gesture. Tell them they look nice. Tell them there's an awesome movie coming out and invite them to go with. Or hell, just ask them out outright.

If they either don't reciprocate or don't accept (without a convincing reason), you've been friend-zoned.

1. ssmith1534 profile image80
      ssmith1534posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I completely agree! If you're making subtle gestures, and they're not reciprocating, you're definitely on friend zone status.

3. Paul Wingert profile image78
    Paul Wingertposted 2 years ago

You know when you're in the dreaded friend zone when she tells you that you're like a brother to her (works the other way around). There's all kinds of other indications, but when you're in friend zone city, that's it. Show's over. The best thing you can do is hope you get front row seats at her wedding. But there are very rare instances when one get's out of the friend zone and gets promoted to relationship status.

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes you can go from a relationship into the friend zone.
      I see so many women settling for the "friends with benefits" scenario which is a disservice to themselves.