jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Have you ever judged someone?

1. Brooke18 profile image82
    Brooke18posted 2 years ago

Judging people based on appearance, personality, clothes, etc is common daily for all of us. I want to know how many people will admit to judging someone.

1. dashingscorpio profile image85
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I believe everyone who comes in contact with another person or simply observes another person walks away with some type of "impression" about that individual. If this were not the case we'd never have clich├ęs such as "Put your best foot forward" and "You never get a second chance to give a first impression". Even the often used; "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is essentially acknowledging that "ugly" must also be in the eye of the beholder. Everyone also does a little bit of "profiling" as well as studying a person's personality and observing their choices and how they interact with others.

Whether it's a person, place, or thing we see or experience we tend to (acknowledge to ourselves) what we (like and dislike) about it or even go one step beyond and imagine how it could be better.
      Generally speaking "like attracts like" and everyone is entitled to have their own (preferences).
      Each of us gets to (choose) our own friends, lovers, and spouse. Not everyone will make the cut.
      Having said that (judging someone) does not mean mistreating or being rude to them.

Lastly using good judgment or "instincts" when it comes to meeting and dealing with people is a good thing and can possibly be a "lifesaver".  Trust like respect is something that should be earned overtime.
      If you get a "feeling" about someone that makes you uncomfortable or you simply do not enjoy being around a certain person you should honor your feelings. Ignoring our "inner voice" is what often leads to regret. On the upside it may be possible over time they may prove you wrong. Life is full of surprises.

2. Brooke18 profile image82

I will admit myself that I have judged people without meaning to. I try to make it a priority NOT to judge someone, but sometimes it doesn't always work.

3. 0
    Abi Helenposted 2 years ago

I don't judge people based on their appearance , I judge people based on the friends they have ^^

Brooke18posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I tend to do that too

4. Engelta profile image83
    Engeltaposted 2 years ago

I judge people without knowing them only if their behavior in public, or what they have wore [make up, clothes, hairstyle] bothers me in some way, or it is so exaggerate and inappropriate with the place/ time of the day/ occasion/ event.
    But, in fact, most of the time I tend to know people before I talk, even people like these ones I mentioned above. smile

Brooke18posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I dislike the 'popular girls' mostly because of the gossip. The whole "Mean Girls" thing has affected my perception of them.

5. sherwani profile image60
    sherwaniposted 2 years ago

I don't and I won't.

If you want to judge a person and know him/her then either travel with him/her, or give your property to him/her and observe the behaviour and usage. Never ever go on appearance

6. Esenbee profile image61
    Esenbeeposted 2 years ago

Yes, I admit that I pre-judge people by how they look and even by whom they spend their time with...but I don't like doing that. I mostly can figure out how a person is by the subjects they talk about or how they view life.

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I make judgements about people by looking at them.  The question is, when is it fair and reasonable and when is it prejudice.  For example if I am walking down a dark and empty city street and someone is closing in behind me, I am more likely to duck into a store and wait til they pass if they are a young guy then if they are an old lady.  It may be sexist and ageist, but it may also be a prudent precaution that has saved me some negative life experiences.

1. Camille Harris profile image
      Camille Harrisposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd likely do the same. As un-PC as it may be, sometimes making those split-second judgments can save your life.

As someone who has undoubtedly been judged solely on appearance (elephant in the room: I'm a tall black woman), I can tell you it doesn't feel great. Whenever I can, I try to "break the ice" by smiling at people or saying good morning, possibly (re)shaping their perception into something more in line with who I actually am. If not, whatevs - what you think of me is none of my business.

8. Cheeky Kid profile image88
    Cheeky Kidposted 2 years ago

Well yes, we're living in a judgemental world after all. Nothing is fair in the world, and we should start accepting that truth. big_smile

9. Jcpuddles profile image61
    Jcpuddlesposted 2 years ago

Yes, It can be a little difficult not to at times.

10. Brooke18 profile image82

For some reason, when I try to cover up a mistake by laughing it off, stumble in public, or sometimes for no reason at all, I find people staring at me. I never fully understood why and I still don't. I feel like I'm a friendly person and that I seem friendly. It just makes me uncomfortable when people stare at me and I don't know why.

1. 0
      Abi Helenposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, i can understand that, the same thing happens to me a lot but recently I have started to ignore their stares smile

11. limpet profile image61
    limpetposted 2 years ago

It takes all kinds to make up a world! A catchphrase that is common but i forget the origin of it.Yes, i have pre judged but i know that i shouldn't. Ever since the London 2012 Olympic games there has pervaded an increasing 'public be damned' attitude and general rudeness to each other coupled with some of new/newer countries entering the European Union where it seems that parents just don't teach their children good manners. Life is precious, all life that is. I was only thinking this morning 'just let it slide' and think of the maxim 'judge not least you be judged'!