jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)

What is going on in the mind of a black man?

1. realtalk247 profile image67
    realtalk247posted 2 years ago

What is the state of the black man today?
    Selma the movie is out. Martin Luther King Jr's birthday is in a few days. 
    By no means do all black men have problems but I wonder what is going on in the mind of the majority of black men.  I watched the documentary released years ago: "Diary of a Tired Black Man" that explained some of your relationships pains but I want to explore and understand you. So speak freely. I'm just asking the question of what makes you operate as you do?

What moves you?
    What are your hopes/dreams? Do you still dream?
    What motivates you?
    What matters to you in life?
    How do you view yourself, your relevance and importance in society?
    Are you aware of your importance?
    Has the stress of the pressures of society made you "cash out" and give up?
    Where do you stand in terms of the hopes and dreams of the slave?
    What do you stand for?
    What do you do to help others? 

The more I think of you, the more I think of the following song:
    Anita Baker - "Talk To Me"

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12135806.jpg

1. Castlepaloma profile image26
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I got the black DNA in me.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

As does every other example of the human species.  We DID, after all, all come out of Africa.

I wonder what the KKK thinks about that, oh I forgot!,  their Christians.

2. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would suppose that those questions would relate to any human being not just black. Why singe out the black man? Is the black man different from anyone else? Does it matter if he is black, white, purple or blue?

Don't believe in purple people, only purple people eaters.

1. Cardisa profile image90

I personally prefer blue people...lol

1. Writer Fox profile image80
            Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Then, you'll have to wait until June (Global Smurf Day).
            http://smurfs.wikia.com/wiki/Smurf_Day
            http://smurfs.wikia.com/wiki/Global_Smurfs_Day

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12140360.jpg

lol That's what I'm talking about!..lol

2. Writer Fox profile image80

The OP started this thread because Monday is a national holiday in America called 'Martin Luther King, Jr. Day' and this holiday is about civil rights for Blacks in America and a day to remember the Civil Rights Movement.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut … g,_Jr._Day

Thanks WF, He mentioned that but I didn't quite get it.

3. realtalk247 profile image67
        realtalk247posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Yes it does matter. I can not relate to pretending everything is okay. I was thinking of the inspiration of such leaders as  MLK who believed in quality for everyone-regardless of color.  To experience a man that shaped the future and brought the needs of equality to the world and then look at the condition of the average black man and family today......I can not be silent about recognizing something went wrong. Ignoring the problem is not a solution nor is the 10%-20% who don't fit the mold, ignoring the crisis, and playing pretend that everything is okay.

4. ahorseback profile image50
        ahorsebackposted 23 months ago in reply to this

+++++++++

3. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I guess I am not among the majority, I am having a grand time, enjoying my retirement. But, I do spend some of it talking to the younger shrubs as to how to avoid the anger and frustration that can well be part of the black experience in America. At my place of religious worship and with my gang of nephews and nieces, I demonstrate how to acquire the mindset to succeed and not be derailed by what appears around you.  Teaching how to avoid the 'land mines' that the young black men will face and how to circumvent them gives me great satisfaction.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't believe any (one man) can speak for his entire race of men.
      Life is a (personal) journey. Many of the questions that were asked appear to be geared towards men who are on a "blame game" trip of some sort.

"Has the stress of the pressures of society made you "cash out" and give up?" - No, Just take it one day at a time.

"Where do you stand in terms of the hopes and dreams of the slave?"
      I've never been a slave nor have I ever had a slave mentality.

"Do you still dream?"
      Yes I still have goals and dreams. I enjoy living my life, taking tropical vacations, Caribbean cruises, and I especially enjoyed Paris, France. 
      I'd like see some other countries in Europe as well as go to Bora Bora, Tahiti. Like most folks who are working I strive to build a healthy retirement nest egg through 401ks, real estate, and other ventures but enjoy life today.

All in all I really can't complain. I have it better than a lot of people I guess regardless of race. Long ago I adopted the following philosophy:
      "The world may not owe you anything but (you) owe yourself the world!"
      Do your best to have the best!

2. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

For whatever reasons, in the U.S.:

1. While people of color make up about 30 percent of the United States’ population, they account for 60 percent of those imprisoned.

2. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime.

3. 68 percent of African-American students graduate from high school, the report says. Those rates are about 10 to 15 percent less than the graduation rate of white students. This affects job potential and income as adults.

4. According to 'The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education', "Black enrollments in higher education are at an all-time high. But nationwide the black student college graduation rate remains dismally low, at a level of about 45 percent. The black student college graduation rate is about 20 percentage points lower than the rate for whites."

Some people attribute these facts to discrimination and some people attribute them to cultural differences.  (Blacks living as minorities in other countries have much different statistics than these.)

They found another way to enslave blacks through
      illegal drug trade working them from the bottom up getting everyone to imform
      on each other.

It's another
      reason I think illegal drugs should be legal. Besides the legal drugs kills us greater than the illegal ones do.

1. Writer Fox profile image80

"Black youth are arrested for drug crimes at a rate ten times higher than that of whites. But new research shows that young African Americans are actually less likely to use drugs and less likely to develop substance use disorders, compared to whites, Native Americans, Hispanics and people of mixed race."
        http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/07/s … an-blacks/

A higher arrest rate of Blacks for drug crimes is a hot topic in America right now.  "African-Americans make up 12% of the nation’s drug users, but represent 34% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 45% of those in state prison for such offense as of 2005." http://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/cri … ge-african

3. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 24 months ago

A poll just released for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day says that 7 in 10 African Americans say that his dream was never realized: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-r … ty-n289031

Castlepalomaposted 24 months ago in reply to this

Never had a black man hurt me, yet have had plenty of whites.

Lets all help the black man when ever we can.

Castlepalomaposted 24 months ago in reply to this

Use to think child molestation was the worst thing in the country. Now, think racist or bigoted is.

4. realtalk247 profile image67
    realtalk247posted 23 months ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to heat up the conversation a little more. So I googled that topic I brought to the forum and found a website that expressed some opinions about the subject.

The website: http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/wrong-b … black-man/
    This website presented some answers to my questions and included opinions from Michael Oluwagbemi II.  Here are some of the takeaways.
    (*****Keep in mind this is not directed to those whose actions do not fit the majority, not do I hate black men.  I believe when you know better, you do better.)

“Think about it, in every society the black man finds himself, he is at the lowest wrung of the society. Lowest in income, education, and health in America (perhaps the world) and highest in every available negative index: crime, prison stewardship, poverty, HIV etc. The black man of the world, is basically is a walking laughing joke- a buffoon.”

"A race without leadership is doomed and headed to perdition. The black man has ceded his birthright position of leadership in our communities to no one but our women. We blame it on everything but ourselves."

"Women respect three things in men: knowledge, money, and power. We have lost on those three counts to our women- at least in America – the melting pot of the world. More black women graduate in college than black men…at the last count with a three to one advantage."

Let's continue the discussion, shall we.  Am I obvious to the laws and situations-absolutely not.  But I will pretend there is a problem within the community that needs to be addressed and it begins with the leaders/the men.

Castlepalomaposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Until all races share their gifts on earth,humans may become just another extincted species.

For some, were all in the same boat.

working