Is modern day rap killing the progression of young people?

1. realtalk247 profile image72
    realtalk247posted 15 months ago

There is very little conscious rap that exists in society.  It seems that main stream rap is doing nothing but giving a tune of ignorance to the subconscious.  Feeding your mind garbage can result in disrespect for women as disposable objects.  Feeding your mind with main steam garbage feeds the belief that you don't have to prepare or educate yourself for your future, you will suddenly rap and go from nothing to riches overnight.  No need to learn how to spell or understand valuable concepts such as contract interpretation, royalties, fee's, management percentages of profit.  No need to get married,  creating a stable household, just find a video model or jump off to randomly create life.  Celebrated is the image of being sexually irresponsible and escaping life threatening diseases seem to be the rage. Video's that celebrate objectification of women while promoting illegal activity. No need to understand the definition of crimes and the penalties for drug possession or distribution. No need to discuss how your informants will be your best friends that are jealous, now discuss the penalties of being classified as an accomplice.   
    Is mainstream rap contributing to the destruction of youth?

1. dashingscorpio profile image84
      dashingscorpioposted 15 months ago in reply to this

The jury is still out on this one.

Throughout American history every generation feels the next generation is sending the country to hell in a handbasket! LOL!

People from the 40s were shocked at how Elvis shook his hips in the 50s, when The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, and the "hippie movement" along with it's "free love", "shacking up", drug culture, anti government establishment beliefs; "Never trust anyone over 30!" rhetoric came along it scared the crap out of previous generations!

What happened? They became "Yuppies", started software companies, and Bill Clinton was the first president to admit he "attempted to smoke pot". President Obama has admitted to smoking pot and snorting coke during his youth! He went on to get degrees from Columbia, Harvard, becoming a U.S. Senator, and eventually elected president twice.

We really won't know the real effects of the rap generation for maybe another 20 years. Right now when you look at  Lil Wayne's net worth is at $140 million. Ice Cube worth over $100M, Eminem $160M Jay-Z $500M, P-Diddy $400M, Dr. Dre $750M and so on they are doing very well.

My generation of music stars, James Brown, Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin,  The Temptations, Stylistics, Blue Magic, Spinners, Isley Brothers, Ohio Players, Kool  & The Gang, Gladys Knight, Peabo Bryson, George Clinton, Teddy Pendergrass and so many others NEVER accumulated that kind of wealth! Somehow these illiterate non vocal talent entertainers have become super successful entrepreneurs!

Back in my day kids use to tease each other:
      "If you're so smart how come you're not rich?"
      Rap and Hip/Hop has created more entertainer millionaires in the shortest amount of time than any other music format.
      It remains to be seen what becomes of their fans!
      Maybe they will do what the hippies/boomers of the 60s did. Grow up!

"Every Saint has a past and every Sinner has a future!"

1. realtalk247 profile image72
        realtalk247posted 15 months ago in reply to this

I recall when rap started, it was fun. Whoodini-Friends, and Run DMC/Aerosmith-Walk this way, and Big Daddy Kane-I Get The Job Done.  The songs would often depict women however they were displayed as love interests.  Then NWA hit the scene and took it to another level with gangster rap but also spoke to police brutality and shed a light on issues of death within the community. 
        While every Saint has a past and ever Sinner has a least you would hope that you grow up at some point.  Oshea did-Ice Cube. In his raps he mentions he's evolved, wants to own expensive land and accomplish something with his life for his legacy. Jay-Z can still draw fans but has matured, not only in image but in business ventures-securing wealth.  THEN you have adult men in their 40's like 2-chains producing songs saying all he wants for his birthday is a big booty girl.
        Then I made the mistake of hearing the chorus: "let's just be honest, let's just be real."  I thought it was a great concept about people not presenting themselves as something they are not.  When I looked up the lyrics to Kid Ink's song-I nearly had a heart attack.  To give you an idea of the blatant disrespect of the lyrics that are heard when young people listen to rap songs similar to this song: "I don't give a f*ck, b*tch with or without a condom."  I couldn't go any further on the lyrics. 
        That kind of mentality is not something that need be in one's conscious or subconscious mind.
        People pay money to lead people astray and profit off of their ignorance and weak mindset.  No coincidence of the promotion of material gain at any cost because what group of people have the lowest household incomes and spend the most?  It's the reason why a 18 year old making minimum wage will buy a $600 phone while riding the bus. This rap situation is crazy and very little is done to promote artists that are saying anything of value. Underground rappers is what they call them and Best Buy is where you won't find them.
        Have you ever heard rap songs in heavy rotation on the air that promote thought, promote progression of a people, or challenge people to stop doing the things that destroy them?   How many times do you hear Hamster Wheel by Talib Kweli OR Cherry Wine featuring Amy Winehouse by Nas.