How to explain you've left an abusive relationship...

1. 60
    Meowadviceposted 6 months ago

Hello this is a little complicated but I was wondering if someone could offer advice

I've left an abusive relationship and I've moved in with a friend for now until I can get back on my feet. The problem is its in a different city to my part time work. I normally work 3 days a week. I don't drive and it'll cost too much to try to get to work but I've got no where to stay near by.

What do I say to work? How do I explain? Am I within right to not give notice? I want to ask if I can transfer stores, will this help my situation at all? How do I word any of this?

Thank you.

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Ask for a transfer to a different store explaining that you had to leave town to avoid your abuser.  If you have police reports or other documentation of the abuse that will be very helpful.  I would not mention your lack of transportation, employers don't want to go out on a limb for a potential new hire or transfer who might not be able to get to work.  Best of luck.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I agree. I would mention that you had to move in order to leave the abuser, but state it briefly and matter-of-factly, then move on to asking about the transfer. People definitely want to help those who need it, and if your employer knows the reason, they will probably want to make it happen for you. But keep it professional, focusing on the job and the job transfer. Don't feel obligated to fill them in on a bunch of personal details.