jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Relationships in Accordance to Birth Order

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 months ago

Let's us play a game:
    (1) Which birth order is the most difficult to get along with?
    (2) Which birth order loves to assume the dominant or alpha role?
    (3) Which birth order is more likely to assume to the beta role?
    (4) Which birth order is likely to get divorced or be unfaithful?

1. theraggededge profile image92
      theraggededgeposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I don't see anything like the above in my relationship with my sibling, or in my three children's relationships with each other. Having said that, my eldest is grown up, while my other two are teens. My partner's two grown-up children get on really well with each other, as well as our two youngest.

Apart from a little sibling rivalry in the early years, they're all growing up in harmony.

So, sorry, I can't answer your questions.

gmwilliamsposted 5 months ago in reply to this

But you did & you answered it well I might add.

2. calculus-geometry profile image84
    calculus-geometryposted 5 months ago

The answers to 2 and 3 are obvious, at least in childhood, because youngsters learn how to do all the stuff the people do by copying the bigger older people around them. Siblings have a natural leader/follower relationship as kids. Sometimes it extends into adulthood, sometimes it doesn't. There's nothing particularly deep about this.

1 and 4, you're reaching.  Do you know of studies that show correlation between birth order and these traits?

Since you are interested in birth order you might be interested in studies that show for men there is  some correlation between having several older brothers and being gay.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141031204 … ry2006.pdf

gmwilliamsposted 5 months ago in reply to this

I read the study regarding having several older brothers increases chances of males being gay.   I have read many books regarding birth orders: Dr. Kevin Leman is the godfather of birth order.  I have several of his books.  Lucille Forer has written a book on birth order in the 1970s.   Dr. Sulloway has written a book called Born to Rebel which discusses in detail the relationship between birth order, attitude, & personality. 

According to Dr. Sulloway, oldest children tend to be more conservative & conforming while youngest children are the most rebellious.  There is a great on middle children called The Secret Power of Middle Children by  Catherine Salmon Ph.D. and Katrin Schumann. This book discusses how the birth order environment of middle children impels them to succeed in ways different & apart from other birth orders.

I have studied & read books about birth order & birth order dynamics.  My large, extended family is a concrete study of birth order issues.  There exist the put down, pressed, overburdened, & sometimes eclipsed oldest children; the overlooked, individualistic, go-my-way, democratic, likeable middle children; & of course, the spoiled, self-centered, indulged, whiny youngest children.